A one-pot, easy-to-make, light, and delicious shrimp and rice pilaf!
You won’t believe how easy my mom’s shrimp pilafi with corn is!! It’s a few basic ingredients and comes together in just 30 minutes. We love how comforting but light it is and how delicious it is.
My mom makes this for the kids every time we visit New York. She calls in Pilafi, which is just a cute way to say shrimp and rice pilaf. Every time I make it at home, I think of her, and it gives my family all the warm feelings of being at her house. Your family is going to love it, too!
Why will your family love it?
Soft, pillowy rice,
Fresh herb and scallion,
Light comfort food in 30 minutes!
What do I need for shrimp and rice pilaf?
Shrimp -I use peeled and deveined, and my mom goes a step further and pulls the tails off. I don’t mind them, and I think it adds even more flavor to the meal while cooking. Do what you prefer.
Garlic cloves -grated or minced to flavor the dish and distribute evenly.
Butter -you can use salted butter in this dish because it needs a bit of salt. Just make sure to taste before adding more salt.
Olive oil -a light olive oil or good quality extra virgin olive oil for added depth of flavor.
Chicken stock -substitute vegetable broth or water if you prefer.
What veggies and herbs do I need?
Corn -this is an unexpected but sweet and delicious addition. You can substitute it for green peas, your favorite veggie, or any combination of veggies.
Scallions -thinly sliced green onions add a mild, fresh flavor to the pilaf.
Fresh parsley -finely chopped to sprinkle over the finished dish for a fresh herb flavor. Substitute dill or your favorite herbs instead.
Lemons -for serving because the lemon really brightens the whole dish.
What type of rice can I use?
How do you make My Mom’s Shrimp Pilafi with Corn?
Rinse the rice in cool water 3-4 times, then soak it in cool water for 10-15 minutes. Heat the butter and olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Then, lightly season the shrimp with salt and black pepper and cook for 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate.
Add the garlic to the pot and warm through until fragrant. Then, add the corn, cook until thawed, and season with salt and black pepper.
Drain the rice and add it to the pot, along with a teaspoon of salt and the stock. Bring to a boil. Then, reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Add the shrimp into the pot along with the scallions and simmer for 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat, top with parsley and lemon wedges, and serve!
How to serve shrimp pilafi?
Definitely take out the feta and olives for this pilafi because they go so well with it. A dollop of Tzatziki adds cool herbiness, and everyone can add as much as they’d like. To add more veggies to the meal, pair it with a lettuce salad, spanakopita salad, or a delicious roasted red pepper and feta salad. Kali Orexi!
More Easy One-Pot Meal Ideas:
- One-Pot Macaronia me keema
- Chicken with Cabbage Rice
- Lemony Chicken with Spinach Pilaf
- Chicken Meatballs in Spinach Feta Sauce
Watch the Video:
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 and 1/2 cups rice
- 2-2 and 1/2 cups chicken stock or water
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- lemons for serving
- Rinse the rice in cool water 3-4 times.
- Soak it in cool water for 10-15 minutes.
- lightly season the shrimp with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the butter and olive oil in a pot over medium heat.
- Add the shrimp and cook 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the garlic to the pot and warm through until fragrant.
- Add the corn and cook until thawed. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Drain the rice and add to the pot along with a teaspoon of salt and the stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the shrimp into the pot along with the scallions and simmer 4-5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and top with parsley and lemon wedges and serve! Kali Orexi!
- This pilafi pairs well with a lettuce salad, tzatziki, feta and olives.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Mito Chef Knife
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Isaac Mizrahi 6 qt Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid - Lime Green
Isaac Mizrahi 6 qt Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid - Red
Le Creuset Enameled Cast Iron Signature Chef's Oven with Lid, 7.5 Quart, Shallot