Spanakopita flavored spinach & feta salad with giant crispy phyllo croutons!
Watch the Video:
Sometimes salad can get a little boring, so ramp it up with this delicious and fun spanakopita salad. It has all the flavors of spanakopita with fun oversized crispy phyllo croutons. Just like spanakopita, the salad is made up of spinach, scallions, and feta cheese. Then I add some walnuts for crunch and a tangy balsamic dressing. The large phyllo croutons are easy to prepare and crisp up in the oven in no time. They are an unexpected salad topping, so it’s so fun to serve them and see what each person does with them. Some crumble it over the salad, some bite into it, and others break into it as they go. I’m eager to hear which team your family is on!
Why this will be a family favorite
Sweet and tangy balsamic dressing
Creamy, salty feta
Buttery, flaky, crispy phyllo
A fresh, delicious, juicy salad topped with a fun giant phyllo crouton everyone will talk about!
- #4 Phyllo sheets
- Butter -melted or olive oil
- Sesame seeds -optional
- Fresh baby spinach leaves -roughly chopped
- Scallions -thinly slice the dark and light green parts
- Feta cheese -sheep’s feta has the best flavor and texture
- Walnuts -toasted and chopped
For the Dressing:
- Olive oil -the one in our shop is from my family’s olive trees in Crete
- Balsamic vinegar -or try our balsamic dressing!
- Honey –Greek honey is amazing
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Make it your own
This salad is perfect the way I’ve made it, but you can add so much to it to make it your own. If you have arugula, it would add some pepperiness to the dish. Also, try adding fresh or dried dill, fresh or roasted red peppers, grape tomatoes, or your favorite olives. There are so many ways to make it your own.
How to make Spanakopita Salad
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Add a pinch of salt to the butter and brush each phyllo sheet with butter.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Gather each phyllo sheet to form an accordion and then roll it inwards into a spiral.
- Place the spirals on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until golden and crisp -about 13-15 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
- Combine the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until emulsified.
- Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a bowl except for the feta cheese.
- Pour the dressing on top and toss together.
- Crumble the feta on top and toss.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Cheesy phyllo spiral croutons
Level up your new giant croutons even more with some cheese. After brushing the phyllo with butter or oil, sprinkle the tops of the phyllo with grated parmesan or kefalotiri cheese. Then, gather each phyllo sheet as directed to form an accordion and roll one end inwards into a spiral. Crispy and cheesy!
Since this salad is a little different, showcase it by piling it high on a salad plate and topping it ith the phyllo crouton spiral. It will really help it stand out and make things fun. You can serve the salad as a side to really anything. Chicken, lamb, beef, or fish would all pair well with this salad. It makes the perfect side salad for a fun family night at home or an impressive dinner party. Let me know if your family is team “crumble”, team “bite”, or team “eat as you go.” Kali Orexi!
More Spanakopita Flavor
- Crinkle Phyllo Spanakopita
- Spanakopita with Homemade Phyllo (Horiatiko)
- Spanakopita Phyllo Wreath
- Spanakopita Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- The Best Spanakopita Recipe (Updated)
- SPANAKOPITA: Greek Spinach & Phyllo Triangles
- Spanakopita Dip
- 4 phyllo sheets
- 2 oz butter (melted) or olive oil
- sesame seeds, optional
- 10 oz (200g) fresh baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 4 oz (100g) feta cheese
- a handful of walnuts, toasted
For the Dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
Add a pinch of salt to the butter and brush each phyllo sheet with butter. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Gather each phyllo sheet to form an accordion and then roll it inwards into a spiral. Place the spirals on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until golden and crisp. About 13-15 minutes. Keep a close eye on them so that they do not burn.
Combine the dressing ingredients together in a bowl and whisk until emulsified.
Combine all of the salad ingredients together in a bowl except for the feta cheese. Pour the dressing on top and toss together. Crumble the feta on top and toss. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Serve topped with the phyllo spirals. Kali Orexi!
For cheesy phyllo spiral croutons: sprinkle the tops of the phyllo with grated parmesan or kafalotiri cheese after it has been brushed with butter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5