Spanakopita just met a grilled cheese sandwich, and it doesn’t get much better than this!
Watch the Video
Life just got a lot better for all of us! This Spanakopita grilled cheese is so delicious that kids and adults alike love it. I could eat anything spanakopita or the filling right off the spoon. I don’t need something to stuff it in, but that’s what inspired these grilled cheese sandwiches. You get all the flavors of spanakopita in the quick time it takes to make a stringy, gooey grilled cheese sandwich. I can’t wait for you to try it!
Here’s why this grilled cheese makes life better
- Delicious spanakopita filling
- Stringy melted mozzarella
- Buttery toasted homemade bread
- It’s an easy over the top delicious grilled cheese!!
Tastes like Spanakopita
- Butter –softened
- Good quality bread –I used my homemade Greek country bread
- Garlic cloves –grated
- Olive oil
- Onion –finely chopped
- Scallions –thinly sliced and stirred into a bowl of cold water to release any dirt
- Spinach leaves –roughly chopped
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Dried dill –or fresh if you have it on hand
- Feta cheese
- Mozzarella sliced –provolone or gruyere cheese would melt just as nice
- Crushed red pepper flakes –if you like a little heat
Try my easy homemade Greek country bread
Greek village-style country bread is known as Horiatiko Psomi in Greece. It’s also known as yellow bread because it has a bit of semolina flour, giving it a yellow color. There’s nothing better than the smell of fresh homemade bread filling the house. It’s hearty, homemade, and more delicious than anything you can buy from the store. So, it makes your sandwiches over the top. There are no fillers, just good ingredients, and it’s pretty simple to make. Here’s the recipe!
How to make Spanakopita Grilled Cheese
- Cook the onion and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until soft and golden –about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic to warm through.
- Next, add the scallions with a pinch of salt and cook until soft –about 2 minutes.
- Then, add the spinach in a few batches and season each batch lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook the spinach mixture over high heat so that the liquid can evaporate.
- Once most of the liquid has evaporated, remove from the heat and add the dill and crumbled feta cheese. Stir together and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Place a cast-iron skillet or any non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
- To build the sandwiches, start by spreading butter on both sides of the sliced bread.
- Top one slice with the mozzarella cheese, then top the mozzarella with the spinach filling. Place the other slice of bread on top of the filling.
- Add a little bit of butter to the pan and let it melt.
- Toast the sandwiches in the pan for about 2-3 minutes per side –or until golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- Cut in half and serve.
You can make this spanakopita grilled cheese any time of the day. It’s great for breakfast with a fried or poached egg or for lunch with fruit. The kids love them as a snack after school, and it’s perfect for a quick and easy weeknight dinner with a side salad. Regardless of when you serve it, know that everyone will love it and ask for it again! Kali Orexi.
More Spanakopita Recipes:
- The Best Spanakopita Recipe
- Spanakopita Dip
- Spanakopita Kourou: 2 Ways!
- Spinach & Salmon Phyllo Parcels
- Spanakopita Phyllo Cups
- 3-4 oz (about 100g) butter, softened
- 10-12 slices of good quality bread
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound (455g) spinach leaves roughly chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 11 oz (300g) feta cheese
- slices of mozzarella, provolone, or gruyere cheese
Add the onion and olive oil to a large skillet and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and warm through.
Add the scallions and a pinch of salt and cook until soft. About 2 minutes.
Add the spinach in a few batches and season each batch lightly with salt and pepper.
Cook the spinach mixture over high heat so that the liquid can evaporate.
Remove from the heat and add the dill, crumbled feta cheese and mix it all together. taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Place a cast iron skillet or any non-stick frying pan over medium heat.
Spread butter on both sides of the sliced bread.
Top one slice with the mozzarella cheese and then top with the spinach filling. Place the other slice of bread on top of the filling.
Add a little bit of butter to the pan and let it melt.
Toast the sandwiches in the pan about 2-3 minutes per side until golden and until the cheese is melted.
Cut in half and serve. Kali Orexi.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5