Maroulosalata basically translates to Lettuce Salad in Greek. It is a classic recipe that is made with thinly sliced lettuce, Scallions, fresh herbs like dill, parsley, and mint, and tossed in a bright vinaigrette. Simple yet so delicious and is the perfect complement to any main dish.
Here’s a Quick Video Tutorial
For the Full Video, Click Here.
- Lettuce: The fresher and crisper, the better. After all, it is the star ingredient
- Scallions: Also known as green onions, these add a mild onion flavor
- Dill: Fresh dill is highly recommended but, dried dill will work if you cannot get fresh.
- Herbs: Other than the dill, parsley, mint, and even basil is commonly used to add freshness to this salad. Use what you love and have!
- The Dressing: olive oil, fresh lemon juice or red wine vinegar, salt, and oregano. Simple!
Use the highest quality Olive Oil that you can get. My favorite comes from Crete (I know, I can’t help it and might be partial but, it’s truly the best) and you can buy it here (affiliate).
How to Make the Vinaigrette:
You can make a few batches of this vinaigrette and store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container. It keeps fresh up to a week and not only is it delicious on salads but, it makes a fabulous marinade for lamb, poultry, and fish. Add some grated garlic and fire up the grill!
- Combine the olive oil, lemon juice/vinegar in a small bowl and add a pinch of salt along with the oregano. Whisk together until the mixture is emulsified and set aside. The dressing is ready!
Assemble the Salad:
- Thinly slice the lettuce and the scallions and place them in a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop the herbs and add them to the bowl.
- Pour the salad dressing on top and toss together.
- Transfer to a serving bowl/platter.
- Serve immediately.
This salad can be prepared a few hours ahead of time and tossed together with the dressing immediately before serving it. Chop up all of the greens and herbs and set in a bowl or airtight container. Make the dressing and refrigerate both the greens and the dressing separately. Toss them together right before serving and enjoy!
Substitutes and Options:
This salad is loaded with bright and fresh flavor as is. But, feel free to add any of the following ingredients to make it even better:
- English cucumber: thinly slice it into half moons for a crunchy bite.
- Feta cheese: Add a chunk of feta cheese on top. Sheep’s milk feta is highly recommended with some dried oregano sprinkled on top.
- Kalamata olives: meaty, briny kalamata olives add another layer of flavor.
Serve the Maroulosalata with:
My mom makes this salad often and it goes great with everything. Top it with some grilled chicken or alongside lamb chops.
Honestly, I enjoy eating this as a light dinner with some feta and toasted bread. Delicious! Serve it alongside any main course or top it with some beans or even boiled eggs for a complete meal. Kali Orexi!
Purchases made using my Amazon (affiliate) links help support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you very much! Here are some of my faves.
I hope that you give this recipe a try and if you do, let me know what you think in the comments section. Also, post your recipe requests. I will add them to my list and promise to share them as soon as possible. Kali Orexi and I’ll be back soon with another delicious recipe worth sharing 🙂
- 2 romaine lettuce hearts, thinly sliced
- 4-5 scallions, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint
- 1/2 cup or less Greek olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- A pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together until emulsified. Set aside.
Combine all of the remaining salad ingredients together in a large bowl and top with the dressing. Toss together to coat.
Serve immediately with toasted bread. Enjoy.
Add some cucumbers and feta cheese to the salad for extra flavor.
Make the salad dressing up to a week ahead of time and keep it stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Mix together and pour over the greens right before serving.