An easy, delicious, and comforting weeknight dinner full of Mediterranean flavor!
Watch the Video:
This one-pan chicken skillet with cabbage and rice is loaded with Mediterranean and Greek flavors. The lemon and dill brighten the chicken, cabbage, and rice, and cooking it all in one pan gives the dish maximum chicken flavor. I created this recipe out of a need to use a bag of coleslaw mix. It’s typically labeled as a coleslaw mix with shredded carrots, and I prefer to buy this pre-shredded cabbage because it’s so easy. I hadn’t used the bag in about a week, and it was about to go bad. Since I love cooked cabbage with meat, I threw this together and had to share it as an easy weeknight dinner. The kids are even going to love this one!
Why your whole family will love it
Tender, juicy chicken
Slightly sweet cabbage
Perfectly cooked rice
An easy one-pan chicken, cabbage, and rice dish bursting with fresh Mediterranean flavor!
Here’s what you’ll need
- Chicken quarters -bone-in and skin-on
- Olive oil -try the one in our shop straight from Crete!
- Onion -finely chopped
- Garlic cloves -grated
- Shredded cabbage -coleslaw mixed with carrots
- Ground coriander
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Basmati rice -or your favorite variety
- Dried dill
- Fresh lemon juice
- Finely chopped parsley
Can I use a different cut of chicken?
Yes! I use bone-in chicken quarters with the skin on and cut them to separate the thighs and drumsticks. It stays so nice and juicy! However, you could use boneless chicken thighs or a whole chicken that’s been cut into quarters. I don’t recommend boneless, skinless chicken breasts because they dry out quickly.
How to make One-pan Chicken with Cabbage and Rice
- Rinse the rice several times, then soak it in cold water for 15 minutes.
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and brown it on both sides.
**Chef’s tip** Brown the chicken in batches to prevent overcrowding and steaming the chicken.**
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the onions to the pan.
- Cook until softened.
- Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
- Then, add the cabbage and cook over medium-high heat until wilted.
- Season it with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and cook it for 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
- Drain the rice and add it to the skillet with a teaspoon of salt, lemon juice, and the dill.
- Mix together and bring to a boil.
- Then, remove it from the heat.
- Make sure that the chicken is sitting on top of the rice.
- Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
The skin on the chicken crisps up to a beautiful golden brown, and the rice is perfectly tender. Spoon the cabbage and rice onto the plate with a piece or two of chicken. I like to serve it garnished with freshly chopped parsley and a lemon wedge to squeeze a little extra on top. Olives and feta go really well with it and take the Mediterranean flavors over the top. I can’t wait for you to try this, and don’t forget to share pictures with me on Instagram. Kali Orexi!
More Easy One-Pan/Pot recipes:
- Roasted Chicken with Chickpeas
- Greek Chicken & Potatoes
- Meatballs & Orzo
- Lamb & Orzo with Spinach
- Asian Salmon & Broccoli
- Greek Sheet pan Dinner
One-Pan Chicken with Cabbage & Rice
- 3 pounds chicken quarters, bone-in, skin-on
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 14 oz (400g) shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
Rinse the rice several times and then soak in cold water for 15 minutes.
Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the olive oil.
Add the chicken to the skillet and brown it on both sides. Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside.
Reduce the heat to low and add the onions to the pan. Cook until softened. Ad the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
Add the cabbage and cook over medium-high heat until wilted. Season it with salt and pepper.
Add the chicken back to the pan and cook it for 20-25 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
Drain the rice and add it to the skillet along with a cup of water or chicken broth, a teaspoon of salt, the lemon juice, and the dill. Mix together and bring to a boil then, remove it from the heat.
Make sure that the chicken is sitting on top of the rice.
Place the skillet in the preheated oven and bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
garnish with parsley and lemon wedges and serve. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone
Enameled Cast Iron Shallow Casserole Braiser Pan with Cover, Cast Iron Covered Casserole Skillet 3.8-Quart, Marine Blue
Staub Cast Iron 7-qt Round Cocotte - White Truffle, Made in France
Leave a Reply