One-Pot Pasta: Greek Macaronia me Keema
- Serves 6-8:
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4-6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1-pound uncooked pasta
- 5 cups water
- grated parmesan or kefalotiri
Place the chopped onion and garlic cloves along with the olive oil in a pot and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 15 minutes.
Add the ground beef along with salt, pepper, cinnamon, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Break up the meat and cook over medium-high heat 3-4 minutes or until browned.
Add the canned tomatoes. Rinse out the can with some water and add to the pot.
Cover the pot and cook over high heat for about 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken.
Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. If the sauce tastes acidic add 1 teaspoon of sugar or honey.
Add the pasta, 2 teaspoons salt, and 5 cups of water and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cover the pot with the lid. Simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the pasta is cooked al-dente. Taste and add some more salt and pepper if needed.
Add the parsley and stir.
To reheat the following day, add ½ cup of water and warm through over medium-low heat.
Top with grated cheese and Enjoy!