All the flavors of Greek chicken Avgolemono in under an hour!
Watch the Video:
Warm up with this cozy lemony chicken and potato soup! It’s a spin-off of the classic Greek chicken Avgolemono soup to make it so quick you can have it any busy weeknight. It still has a delicious lemon flavor but has potatoes instead of pasta or rice. You can use a really cheap cut of chicken like drumsticks or thighs, and the potatoes cook in the broth as the soup simmers. The potatoes’ starch adds to the silkiness of the delicious Avgolemono sauce, making a perfectly creamy soup. I can’t wait to eat it just talking about it!
You’ll be excited about this soup
Bright, fresh lemon
Soft melt-in-your-mouth potatoes
Silky, creamy broth
Comforting, refreshing lemony chicken soup in under an hour!
What you’ll need
- Onion –finely chopped
- Carrots –peeled and diced
- Garlic cloves –grated
- Chicken drumsticks –or thighs
- Potatoes –peeled and cubed
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Chicken stock
For the Avgolemono (lemon sauce):
- Egg yolks
- Fresh lemon juice or to taste
- Dried dill –substitute thyme, oregano, or your favorite herb combination
How to make Lemony Chicken and Potato Soup
- Place the chicken in a tray and drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken in the oven at 425°F for about 25 minutes or in the air fryer at 350°F for 20-25 minutes, then set aside to cool.
- Once the chicken is cool, remove the meat from the bones and set it aside.
- Next, place the onion, carrots, and 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot.
- Cook over medium heat until soft –about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the chicken, potatoes, salt, pepper, and turmeric.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer the soup for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Whisk together all of the avgolemono ingredients in a mixing bowl until smooth.
- Add 1-2 cups of the hot soup broth to the avgolemono and whisk together.
- Then, mix the sauce into the soup.
- Warm through over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Then, stir in the dill or herb of your choice.
You know I love lemon as much as I love tzatziki, so being able to have lemony chicken soup any night of the week is fantastic. I always hope for leftovers so I can eat them for lunch the next day too. I serve it with some toasted bread and maybe a sprinkling of parsley on top. Let me know what you serve it with and if you love it as much as I do. Kali Orexi!
More Soup Recipes:
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 garlic cloves, grated
- 2-3 pounds chicken drumsticks or thighs
- 1 pound potatoes, peeled and cubed
- salt to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 cups chicken stock
For the Avgolemono (lemon sauce):
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
Place the chicken in a tray and drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season bot sides with salt and pepper. Cook the chicken either in the oven at 425 °F for about 25 minutes or in the air fryer at 350 F for 20-25 minutes. Set aside to cool and then remove the meat off of the bones and set aside.
Place the onion, carrots, and 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large soup pot. Cook over medium heat until soft. About 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
Add the chicken, potatoes, salt, pepper, turmeric, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the soup for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Make the avgolemono. Combine all of the avgolemono ingredients together in a mixing bowl and whisk them together until smooth. Add 1-2 cups of the hot broth to the avgolemono and whisk together. Add it to the soup and mix together. Warm through over medium heat for 2-3 minutes until thickened.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Add the oregano and serve. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Emile Henry Made In France HR Modern Classics Square Baking Dish 8 x 8/2 Qt, 9 x 9, Twilight Blue
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, 6 Qt, Midnight Chrome