Easy and delicious shortbread pecan pie bars without corn syrup!
Watch the Video:
Who needs pecan pie when you have pecan pie bars made with a shortbread crust? I put two of my favorite holiday desserts together and… Oh. My. Gosh. Ha Ha! I love the creamy but gooey pecan stuffed filling of pecan pie, and shortbread is my favorite cookie. So, together they make a dreamy holiday dessert. This recipe is simple to put together and feeds a crowd, so it’s perfect for a holiday get-together.
Why your family will choose bars over pie
Soft, nutty pecan shortbread
Sweet pecan packed
Sticky, gooey center
No corn syrup
Easy, delicious, slightly crisp, nutty pecan shortbread topped with gooey pecan pie filling!
Pecan pie bars without corn syrup?
Buying a bottle of corn syrup isn’t practical for making one recipe, and I rarely use it. So, I found the perfect combination of maple syrup and honey to replace it. The flavors pair so well with the pecans that the filling tastes even better than traditional pecan pie filling made with corn syrup. Plus, I always have these two in my kitchen, and it’s a healthier option. A win all the way around!
What you’ll need
Pecan shortbread crust
- Unsalted butter -softened
- Confectioner’s sugar –aka powdered sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Pure vanilla extract -good quality for the best flavor
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Pecans –ground
Pecan pie filling
- Light brown sugar –or dark if that’s what you have
- All-purpose flour
- Ground cinnamon
- Unsalted butter –melted
- Maple syrup –real maple syrup
- Honey –Greek honey is best!
- Pure vanilla extract
- Heavy cream
- Eggs –room temperature
- Pecans –chopped
How to make Pecan Pie Bars
Make the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Line a 9 x 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a tabletop mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the butter, confectioner sugar, granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla extract.
- Beat on low speed until combined
- Then, increase the speed to high and beat until fluffy –two to three minutes.
- Whisk the flour and baking soda together and add the mix to the mixer.
- Beat until combined.
- Add the pecans and beat until they have been incorporated into the dough.
- Transfer the dough to the prepared baking pan and spread it using your hands into an even layer.
- Go slightly up the sides of the pan with the dough so that the crust can hold most of the pecan topping.
- Bake the crust for 20 minutes on the center rack of the preheated oven.
Prepare the pecan topping:
- Whisk together the brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl.
- Add all the remaining ingredients except the pecans and whisk together until smooth.
- Then, fold the pecans into the mixture using a spatula.
- Pour the pecan topping over the crust as soon as it comes out of the oven.
- Return it to the oven to bake for an additional 35-45 minutes.
- The pie is ready with the sides are completely set, and the center is mostly set with a little bit of a jiggle to it. **Do not overcook it, or the topping will be dry.**
- Allow the pie to cool completely
If you’re serving your bars family-style, you can cut the bars and serve them right out of the pan. No parchment paper is needed. However, using it allows you to lift the entire pan of bars out of the pan to be cut into perfect individual slices. I like to cut it into twelve square pieces, but you could cut them smaller or into triangles. Let me know how you like to cut them and if your family prefers these bars over pecan pie. Kali Orexi!
More bars and holiday desserts
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Fig Crumble Bars
- Pumpkin Pie Bars
- Italian Butter Cookies (Bakery-Style) for the Holidays
- Festive Mini Holiday Shortbread Cookies
- Mini Holiday Pies: Chocolate Hazelnut & Pumpkin Pies
For the Crust: 3/4 pound (340g) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups (410g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup (60g) ground pecans
For the Topping:
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz (114g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 2 cups chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Line a 9 by 13-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
Make the crust: Combine the butter, confectioner's and granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla extract in the bowl of a tabletop mixer that has been fitted with the paddle attachment. Beat on low speed until combined and then increase the speed to high and beat until fluffy. 2-3 minutes.
Whisk the flour and baking soda together and add it to the mixer. Beat until combined. Add the pecans and beat until they have been incorporated into the dough. Transfer the dough to the prepared baking pan and spread it using your hands into an even layer. Go slightly up the sides of the pan so that the crust can hold most of the pecan topping. Bake the crust for 20 minutes on the center rack of the preheated oven.
Prepare the pecan topping: In a large mixing bowl combine the brown sugar, flour, salt, and cinnamon and whisk them together. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the pecans and whisk together until smooth. Add the pecans and fold into the mixture using a spatula.
Pour the pecan topping over the crust as soon as it comes out of the ove. and reutrn it to the oven to bake for an additional 35-45 minutes. The pie is ready with the sides are completely set and the center is mostly set with a little bit of a jiggle to it. Do not overcook it or the topping will be dry.
Allow the pie to cool completely and then carefuly lift it out of the pan. Cut it into slices and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
STAUB Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish, 13x9-inch, Dark Blue