- Serves 6-8:
- 14 cups homemade chicken stock
- About 4 cups (or less) shredded cooked chicken
- 8 egg yolks
- ½ - ¾ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¾ cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
Bring chicken stock and shredded chicken to a boil.
Add the orzo and 1 teaspoon of salt and boil for about 6 minutes. The orzo will be par cooked.
Prepare the egg lemon mixture by combining the egg yolks, corn starch, lemon juice, and olive oil in a boil. Whisk them together until smooth and the cornstarch dissolves.
Once the stock boils, add one cup of the hot liquid into the egg-lemon mixture to temper it. This will prevent the eggs from scrambling. Add 1-2 more cups of hot stock while whisking to incorporate.
Add the tempered egg lemon mixture back into the pot and cook over medium heat about 4 minutes until the soup thickens. Continue to mix it.
Add the dried dill and stir.