This hearty tortellini soup is ready in 30 minutes! It’s perfect for those busy weeknights because many of the ingredients are store-bought. Loaded with Mediterranean robust flavors and the whole family will love it.
The Ingredients & Substitutions:
This soup is super easy to make because many of the ingredients are store bought. Of course, you can feel free to use homemade chicken stock (which I usually have on hand but, this time I was all out) and if you make your own tortellini, that’s wonderful! I don’t…haha! But, my local Costco has a very good quality tortellini that I pick up each time I’m there.
Here’s a list of what you will need:
- tortellini pasta: my favorite is the cheese filled tortellini but you can also use any ravioli as well.
- roasted chicken: we usually have some leftover chicken in the refrigerator. Even boiled chicken will work. My favorite are roasted chicken thighs. Shred the meat and add it to the soup or leave it out altogether to keep the soup vegetarian.
- chicken broth: use homemade or store-bought. Feel free to use vegetable broth instead if desired.
- feta cheese block: already crumbled feta cheese (sold in packets, bags, or jars) is very poor quality and overly salty. Purchase feta cheese in blocks and crumble it yourself.
- Spinach: I usually have a package of baby spinach leaves in the refrigerator. Frozen spinach works for this recipe as well just make sure to thaw it out before adding it to the soup.
- Canned tomatoes: another pantry staple that I always have on hand. Some people prefer to use fresh tomatoes and they will work perfectly. Grate them using a box grater and discard the skins.
- Heavy whipping cream: adds creamy body to this soup and makes it a lovely pink color.Leave this ingredient out if you prefer it brothy and lighter.
Serve this soup with some toasted bread to soak up that delicious broth.
I hope that you give this recipe a try and if you do, please let me know what you think. If you put a different spin on this recipe share it with us in the comments section. Kali Orexi and I’ll be back here soon with another delicious recipe worth sharing. xxDimitra.
Watch the Video Tutorial
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 28 ounces canned tomatoes, pureed
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 and 1/2 pounds tortellini pasta
- 2 cups of shredded cooked chicken
- 6 ounces spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
Add the onion and oil to a large pot and sprinkle it with a pinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 8 minutes.
Add the garlic and warm through for 15-20 seconds.
Add the pureed tomatoes, broth, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and add the chicken and tortellini pasta. Cook for 10 minutes or until the tortellini is al dente.
Add the spinach, feta, and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
The feta cheese can be served alongside the soup instead of inside of it.
Keep the soup vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using vegetable broth.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.