Greek Lemony Chicken and Orzo soup in under an hour with your Instant Pot!
Watch the Video
Fall is officially here, even though it’s 90˚ here in Texas. We’re still in the spirit, though, so I want to share this delicious Instant Pot Greek Lemony Chicken and Orzo Soup. The Instant Pot makes it easy and gets dinner on the table in under an hour. It’s comfort food for the soul and is also known as the Greek penicillin. Doctors do not endorse it, but all grandmothers would feed Avgolemono to their kids if they came down with a little cold. We felt better the next day, so… I’m just saying!
Your family will love it
- A perfect burst of lemon
- Creamy orzo
- Velvety egg-lemon sauce
- Easy and dinner in under an hour!
- Whole chicken or bone-in skinless thighs
- Onion –quartered
- Carrots –peeled and cut into large pieces
- Celery stalks –cut in half
- Garlic cloves –whole
- Turmeric powder –not traditional Greek, but is very nutrious and adds color to the stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Carrot –peeled and diced
- Uncooked orzo pasta or Arborio rice
- Egg yolks
- Fresh lemon juice
- Dried dill –or finely chopped fresh parsley
What type of chicken is best?
I like to use bone-in chicken thighs because they always stay moist, and you get the most nutritional value from the chicken when you cook it with the bone in. A whole chicken cut into pieces would also be a great option. After it’s cooked, be sure to remove all of the bones from the chicken before adding it back to your soup. If you prefer to use boneless chicken or only breast meat, it’s perfectly fine. Your kitchen, your rules!
Here’s a link (Amazon affiliate) for the Instant Pot that I have. You can see it here.
How to make Instant Pot Greek Lemony Chicken & Orzo Soup
- Add all of the stock ingredients to the Instant Pot. Stir and cover with the lid. Set to high pressure for 17 minutes, then set the pressure valve to the “seal” position.
- After the Instant Pot has come to pressure, allow 15 minutes to slow-release.
- Then, move the valve to “vent” to release the remaining steam.
- Carefully remove the chicken and veggies.
- Shred the chicken and set it aside.
- Add the orzo pasta or the rice to the stock along with the diced carrot.
- Cover with the lid and set to high pressure for 2 minutes.
- Allow 10 minutes to slow-release the pressure, then move the valve to vent.
- Add the egg yolks, cornstarch, lemon juice, and dill to a bowl, then whisk them until smooth.
- Add some hot broth to the egg mixture to temper it.
- Then, pour the egg-lemon mixture into the Instant Pot and add the shredded chicken.
- Set the Instant Pot to the sauté feature until the soup thickens slightly –about 3-5 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
This lemony soup with orzo doesn’t need too much, but a good piece of crusty bread to dip in the delicious lemony broth would be amazing. If you’re serving it for lunch, you could even do soup and Greek salad. Kali Orexi!
- 1 whole chicken or 6 bone-in skinless thighs
- 12 cups (4 liters) water
- 1 onion, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 celery stalks
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta or Arborio rice
- 8 egg yolks
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill or 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
Add all of the stock ingredients to the Instant Pot. Stir and cover with the lid. Set to high pressure for 17 minutes and set the pressure valve to the "seal" position.
Keep in mind that it takes about 10 minutes for the Intsant Pot to come to pressure.
Allow 15 minutes to slow release the pressure and then move the valve to "vent" to release the remaining steam.
Carefully remove the chicken and veggies.
Shred the chicken and set aside.
Add the orzo pasta or the rice to the stock along with the diced carrot.
Cover with the lid and set to high pressure for 2 minutes. Allow 10 minutes to slow release the pressure then move the valve to vent.
In a bowl, add the egg yolks, cornstarch, lemon juice and dill. Whisk them all together until smooth. Add some hot broth to the egg mixture to temper it.
Pour the egg-lemon mixture into the Instant Pot and add the shredded chicken.
Set the Instant Pot to the saute feature until the soup thickens slightly. About 3-5 minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Serve. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Misko - Greek Orzo Pasta [Risoni Large], (4)- 17.6 oz. Pkgs.
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs