The best chicken noodle soup you’ll ever make!
Watch the Video:
This chicken noodle soup is the perfect thing to make if you need a quick, comforting meal or someone’s feeling under the weather. It’s a classic soup that everyone is sure to love. My recipe has the classic ingredients for chicken noodle soup, but I’ve learned a few tricks along the way to make it even more delicious The first is a quick and easy way to prepare the chicken, and the second is to use bone-in chicken. Both tricks add so much more flavor that you’ll think it’s the best chicken noodle soup, too!
The quickest way to prepare chicken for soup
Sometimes soup takes a long time to pull together. If you brown the chicken in your soup pot, it creates an extra step and takes more time to prepare your soup. So, I roast my chicken in a very hot 525º oven while preparing and starting my soup. This gives the chicken a really beautiful golden color, adds so much flavor, and cuts the cooking time for the soup. The chicken won’t be cooked through when it comes out of the oven, but it will finish cooking so much faster since it’s had a good head start. And don’t forget to add your pan juices to the soup. You don’t want to miss an ounce of flavor!
Why you’ll love this soup
- Warm, herb chicken broth
- Soft vegetables and noodles
- Chunky chicken
- The best comforting chicken noodle soup for your family!
- Whole chicken –leg quarters work well also
- Onion –finely chopped
- Carrots –peeled and diced
- Olive oil
- Celery stalks –diced
- Garlic cloves –grated
- Chicken stock
- Bay leaves
- Turmeric powder
- Ground black pepper
- Dried thyme
- Noodles –traditionally egg noodles, but use your favorite
- Fresh lemon juice
- Finely chopped rosemary
- Scallions –thinly sliced
- Finely chopped parsley
How to make the best chicken noodle soup
- Place the chicken pieces on a baking tray and drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season both sides with olive oil and roast in a preheated 525 °F (270 °C) oven for 15 minutes, then set aside.
- In a large pot, add the onion, carrots, celery, and olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until softened –about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and warm through for a few seconds.
- Then, add the chicken, bay leaves, turmeric, chicken stock, thyme, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer—cook for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and taste the stock. Season with salt if needed.
- Shred the chicken and add it to the pot along with the noodles and a half teaspoon of salt.
- Cook over medium heat until the noodles are al dente –about 10 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and chopped herbs. Stir together and serve.
Let’s be honest, you don’t need anything but a bowl and a spoon for this delicious chicken soup. However, a piece of homemade bread would be great for getting every last drop of broth. If you’d like to add some sides, try cheese with crackers, pickles, and olives. Kali Orexi!
More Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Lemony Chicken Avgolemono Soup
- Mediterranean Tortellini Soup with Spinach, Feta, & Chicken. Ready in 30 Mins!!
- Creamy Vegan Fasolada (White Bean) and Kale Soup
- Greek Fisherman’s Soup: Kakavia
- Greek-Style Chicken Tortilla Soup with Pita
- Greek Lentil Soup
- 1 whole chicken or 6 leg quarters
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 10 cups of chicken stock
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 8 oz noodles
- 3-4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemary
- 2 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
Place the chicken pieces on a baking tray and drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons olive oil. Season both sides with olive oil and roast in a preheated 525 °F, 270 °C oven for 15 minutes. Set aside.
In a large pot, add the onion, carrots, celery, and olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until softened. About 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and warm through for a few seconds.
Add the chicken, bay leaves, turmeric, chicken stock, thyme, and black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 25 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the pot and taste the stock, Season with salt if needed.
Shred the chicken and add it to the pot along with the noodles and a half teaspoon of salt. Cook over medium heat until the noodles are al dente. About 10 minutes.
Add the lemon juice and the chopped herbs. Mix together and serve. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Quarter Sheet, 2-Pack
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, 6 Qt, Midnight Chrome