This Greek-Style chicken tortilla soup is ready in under 60 minutes. Juicy chicken thighs, Mediterranean flavors, simmered in a flavorful tomato base, will become your favorite weeknight comfort food. Top it with crunchy homemade pita chips, Greek yogurt, and a squeeze of lemon for a restaurant-worthy meal at home.
Is this a good recipe to make on a busy weeknight?
Yes! This soup is the perfect meal because it’s ready in under 60 minutes from start to finish. It can be made in 30 minutes if you like to meal prep. At the beginning of the week, chop all your veggies and store them in the refrigerator, use leftover chicken that you may have on hand and a comforting meal will be ready in no time! Feel free to use store-bought pita chips if you’d like to take an extra shortcut.
Can I make this soup with other ingredients? YES!!
- To speed things up, use leftover roasted chicken or store-bought rotisserie chicken. Shred-it and add it to the soup after the vegetables are soft and golden.
- Use store-bought chicken stock or homemade. Make sure that the stock is low sodium so that you can control the salt.
- This soup is delicious as is, but you can add or substitute your favorite ingredients that you have on hand: any cooked beans, frozen corn, spinach, and even jalapenos for an extra spicy kick.
Print my Homemade Pita Chips Recipe here.
How long does this soup stay fresh?
Store the soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 5 days or frozen up to 3 months! This makes it great for meal prepping.
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thigh meat
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or oregano
- ¼ teaspoon or more of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomatoes, pureed
- 4 cups (32-ounces) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce can) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 roasted red peppers from the jar, diced
- • Chopped fresh parsley
- • Thinly sliced scallions
- • Greek yogurt or sour cream
- • Lemon wedges
- • Pita chips
- • Feta cheese, crumbled
- • olives
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat and add the chicken. Brown for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the pot and season lightly with salt. Cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and warm through 30 seconds.
- Add the ketchup, pureed tomatoes, chicken, and the remaining ingredients (except toppings).
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the soup and chop it. Add it back into the pot.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- While the soup is cooking, bake the pita chips.
- Serve the soup with your favorite toppings.
1. Add more chicken broth for a thinner, more brothy soup. Adjust the seasoning if you add extra broth.
2. The soup keeps fresh in an airtight container stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
3. This soup may be frozen up to 3 months.