Pantzarosalata is the Greek word for Beet Salad. Cook the vibrant beets and then toss them in a flavorful vinaigrette. Serve this cold salad topped with a Greek yogurt dressing and crunchy walnuts for a healthy side.
The beets can be cooked either by boiling them or by roasting them in the oven. I prefer the concentrated flavor of roasted beets. Feel free to boil them if you prefer that method. Just place the beets in a pot with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until they are tender. About 45 minutes. Allow them to cool in their liquid.
Can I serve this salad without the yogurt?
Skordalia is a garlicky potato dip that tastes delicious with these beets and with almost everything else.
Purchases made by clicking on my links helps support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you!
How to make this Salad:
- Boil or Roast the beets until tender but not mushy.
- Allow the beets to cool and chop them to the desired size
- Make the vinaigrette and carefully toss the beets in it. Do this gently as to not mush the beets.
- Garnish with the yogurt and crunchy walnuts.
- This salad tastes best cold. Refrigerate the beets until they are chilled.
- You may also mix the yogurt into the beets instead of using it as a garnish on top. This will create a beautiful purplish-pink dish. It’s up to you!
- Serve it alongside any meal or eat the salad as a main vegetarian entree.
Watch The Video Tutorial Here:
- 6 beets, about600 grams, scrubbed, washed, and dried
- 100 grams walnuts, toasted and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- • ¼ cup Balsamic vinegar
- • ¼ cup olive oil
- • 1 teaspoon honey
The yogurt dressing:
- • 1 cup Greek yogurt
- • 2 garlic cloves, grated
- • Salt and pepper, to taste
- • 1 teaspoon finely chopped mint
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F 220 °C.
- Individually wrap each beet with aluminum foil and place on a baking tray.
- Roast the beets until tender. About 45 - 1 hour depending on their size. Check with a knife by cutting through the center of the beet. They should be firm, not mushy.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Peel the beets while they are still warm and slice them into rounds or dice them. Transfer them into a large bowl.
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Pour over the beets and carefully toss them. Season with salt and pepper. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. This salad tastes best cold.
- Combine the yogurt dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Drizzle the yogurt on top of the beets and garnish with the walnuts.
- Note: The walnuts can be toasted in the oven at 350 degrees for 8 minutes or over medium heat in a pan.