BAKALIAROS SKORDALIA: FRIED SALT COD WITH GARLICKY POTATO DIP
- 1-pound salt cod fillet or fresh/frozen codfish quick cured
- Flour for dredging
- Oil for frying
For the Batter:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoons salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces of sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- lemon wedges and parsley
For the Skordalia:
- 2-3 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups vegetable broth plus more water to boil potatoes
- 3-4 garlic cloves, grated
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- If you are using salted dried cod for this dish, then, soak the cod for at least 24 hours in cold water and keep it refrigerated. Change the water 3-4 times to extract the salt.
- Quick Salt Cure Fish:Sprinkle lots of salt (about 6-7 teaspoons or more) over both sides of the codfish. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of sugar over the fish and set aside for at least 30 minutes. Soak the fish in ice-cold water and pat dry. Place the fish on paper towels to absorb any moisture.
- Make the Skordalia:
- Place the potatoes in a pot and cover them with vegetable stock, water and season with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until fork tender.
- Place the potatoes in a colander to drain and reserve 1-2 cups of the stock.
- Pass the potatoes through a ricer or mash them in a large bowl.
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, vinegar, and grated garlic in a small mixing bowl and whisk until incorporated. Pour the marinade over the mashed potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Mix until smooth. Pour 1-2 cups of the potato boiling liquid into the mashed potatoes to thin the dip to your desired consistency. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Make the Cod Fritters:
- Heat some vegetable oil in a frying pan to 360 °F. 180 °C.
- Combine the fish batter ingredients in a mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Make sure that the fish is very dry.
- Place some flour into a shallow bowl or dish to dredge the fish.
- Dredge the cod pieces in the flour then dip into the batter.
- Carefully place the battered cod into the hot oil and fry until golden on all sides.
- Place the cod fritters on a tray lined with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.
- Garnish with parsley.
- Serve immediately with the Skordalia and some lemon wedges. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply