- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 cauliflower cut into florets
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, pureed
- ¼ cup water
- Feta cheese for serving, optional
- A comforting vegetarian dish that is hearty enough to serve as a main course with some toasted bread and a salad or as a side together with meat or fish. Did I mention that it’s a wonderful breakfast dish when topped with a poached egg?
- Warm the oil in a pot or wide skillet over medium heat.
- Add the cauliflower florets and cook them for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. They do not have to become golden brown on all sides.
- Remove the cauliflower and set on aside on a plate.
- Cook the onions in the oil for 10 minutes or until soft and golden. Add the garlic and warm through about 30 seconds taking care not to burn it.
- Add the pureed tomatoes, the cauliflower, cinnamon stick, and all of the remaining seasonings and spices. Bring to a boil, cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook until cauliflower is tender. About 25 minutes.
- Remove lid and increase the heat if necessary and cook 5 more minutes or until the sauce thickens. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve topped with some feta cheese. Enjoy!