A quick and easy weeknight Mediterranean meal!
Watch the Video:
One of my easy weeknight Mediterranean meals is perfect air fryer beef shawarma and briam vegetables. The shawarma-style beef with a souvlaki-type marinade can be prepped and marinated up to the night before. Then, it only takes about 18 minutes to cook. Briam is Greek-style slow-roasted vegetables in the oven, but the air fryer helps you accomplish this in under 30 minutes. So, the whole meal will come together in less than an hour.
Why this will become a weeknight favorite
- Soft, tangy, flavorful beef
- Crispy potatoes
- Perfectly cooked veggies
- Creamy herb tzatziki
- A delicious weeknight Mediterranean meal in under an hour!
For the Beef:
- Beef loin flap steak –sub ribeye or your favorite cut of beef cut into strips
- Balsamic vinegar –or lemon juice
- Olive oil
- Ground black pepper
- Ground cumin
- Baby potatoes –substitute cubed eggplant or mushrooms
- Zucchini –cubed
- Grape tomatoes
- Bell pepper –cubed
- Onion -cubed
- Feta cheese –crumbled from a block to avoid tasteless pre-crumbles
- Olive oil –try the one in our shop straight from Crete!
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Black pepper
- Granulated garlic powder
My new Air Fryer
I needed a new air fryer and chose the Cosori Pro II. It had great reviews, a sleek design, and an extra-large 5.8-quart capacity. I have really loved it because it’s so easy to use, works perfectly, and is easy to clean. The basket is a tiny bit smaller than my old air fryer, but the Cosori overall is much smaller on my counter and takes up less space. My old one looks like an airship! Ha! If you don’t have an air fryer, I highly recommend it. It cooks in half the time and doesn’t heat the house.
How to make perfect air fryer beef shawarma and briam vegetables
- Cut the beef steak into strips and place them into a bowl.
- Add all of the seasonings, olive oil, and vinegar and toss them together.
- Then, set aside for an hour to marinate or refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the Air Fryer to 400 °F for 5 minutes.
- Then, cook the steak in 3 batches at 400 °F for 4 minutes on one side and two additional minutes on the other side.
- Transfer the steak to a platter and cover with foil.
Make the veggies:
- Place the potatoes and 1 ½ cups of water in the Instant Pot Pressure cooker on high for 2 minutes.
- Slow release for 5 minutes, then transfer the potatoes to a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- Cut the potatoes in half and transfer them into a large bowl.
- Add all the remaining vegetables to the bowl with olive oil, vinegar, and seasonings and toss to coat.
- Then, transfer the vegetables into the air fryer basket and cook at 400 °F for 12-13 minutes.
- Toss the vegetables and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Crumble the feta over the vegetables and cook for 2-4 minutes.
- Then, transfer to a serving platter and serve with the steak and tzatziki sauce.
Crispy creamy potatoes
You can put your potatoes right in the air fryer for a one pot meal. However, I personally don’t like to start the potatoes off in the air fryer because the high heat makes them dryer. So, I put them in the Instant Pot first. You could also par-boil them on the stove. Now that they’re hydrated, they’ll crisp up in the air fryer beautifully and be creamy on the inside.
Because this comes together in under an hour, it makes my list of weeknight meals. Especially since I can prep the meat the night before, I like to serve it with some tzatziki, and you can add an additional side of cauliflower rice or Mediterranean rice pilaf. You could even wrap the veggies and meat up in a pita for sandwiches. Any leftovers are perfect for a pita sandwich lunch the next day. Kali Orexi!
More Air Fryer Recipes:
Perfect Air Fryer Beef Shawarma & Briam Vegetables
For the Beef:
- 2 pounds beef loin flap steak
- 1/4-1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
For the Briam Vegetables:
- 1 pound baby potatoes
- 2 zucchini, cubed
- 8 oz/240g grape tomatoes
- 1 large bell pepper, cubed
- 1 large onion, cubed
- 6-7 oz feta cheese
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
Cut the beef steak into strips and place into a bowl. Add all of the seasonings, olive oil, and vinegar and toss together. Set aside for an hour to marinate or refrigerate overnight.
Preheat the Air Fryer to 400 °F for 5 minutes. Cook the steak in 3 batches at 400 °F for 4 minutes on one side. Flip the strips over and cook an additional 2 minutes on the other side. Transfer the steak to a platter and cover with foil.
Make the veggies:
Place the potatoes in the Instant Pot Pressure cooker (alternatively boil the bpotatoes on the stovetop until fork tender) with 1 and 1/2 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt. Pressure Cook on high for 2 minutes. Slow release for 5 minutes and then transfer the potatoes to a bowl to cool to room temperature. Cut the potatoes in half and transfer them into a large bowl.
Add all of the remaining vegetables in the bowl along with the olive oil, vinegar, and seasonings. Toss to coat.
Transfer the vegetables into the air fryer basket and cook at 400 °F for 12-13 minutes. Toss and cook an additional 5 minutes. Crumble the feta over the vegetables and cook an additional 2-4 minutes. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with the steak and tzatziki sauce.
The potatoes can be substituted for a cubed eggplant, or with mushrooms.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
Leave a Reply