GREEK LAMB SOUVLAKI WITH GRILLED VEGGIE SKEWERS
- 1 pound boneless lamb leg or shoulder, cut into small chunks
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 small onion, sliced
- For the Vegetable Skewers:
- 7-8 baby portabello mushrooms (button or crimini can be substituted) about 8 ounces in weight
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 8 ounces cherry or grape tomatoes
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- dried oregano
- Tzaztiki Sauce
- Pita bread
- skewers (if using wooden, soak in water at least 30 minutes before grilling)
- Begin by trimming any excess fat off the lamb and then cut into small chunks to fit your skewers. About 1 inch. Place in a large bowl.
- Place all of the seasoning ingredients, oil and vinegar over the meat. Mix well to coat. Add sliced onions over the meat and mix well with your hands.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours to allow the meat to absorb all the wonderful flavors and so that it tenderizes beautifully.
- take the marinated meat out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature before grilling. (NEVER place cold meat on a hot grill).
- Heat your grill. If using a grill pan, heat over medium-low heat.
- Prepare your vegetable skewers.
- Clean the mushrooms by wiping with a damp towel and remove the stems. The stems can be frozen in an a freezer bag for later use in soups or stuffing.
- Place the mushrooms and onion chunks in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and oregano. Toss to coat.
- Do the same with the tomatoes.
- Thread the tomatoes on skewers.
- Thread the mushrooms and onions on skewers as well.
- Thread the marinated lamb on skewers.
- Place the veggie skewers and the lamb skewers on the hot grill and cook for about 15 minutes, rotating the skewers every 3 minutes.
- Brush the veggie skewers with any oil that is left in the bowl they were seasoned in. This will help them char.
- Warm the pita bread and place onto a plate. Place the grilled lamb over the pita and serve with the grilled vegetables and tzatziki sauce.
Leave a Reply