Greek Olive paste (a.k.a Πάστα ελιάς, in Grek) spread on top of toasted bread is a simple appetizer that is full of flavor. Follow my easy recipe and you will have it on your table in 5 minutes!
Kalamata olives are my favorites to use in this recipe. Mostly because I have them on hand all the time also because I love their meaty, tangy flavor. Of course, you may use whichever olives you have in your pantry. Since there are such few ingredients in this recipe, I suggest that they’re all high quality. Especially the olives.
Should I use already pitted olives?
If that is all you have then, go for it! I highly recommend buying olives with the pit and pitting them yourself because their flavor is much better than the already pitted variety. It is much easier than you may think. The best way to do this is with a meat mallet/hammer. You may purchase one here. (Affiliate)
Watch the Video Tutorial Here:
What should I serve the olive paste with?
The list is endless because you can amp up the flavor of literally everything with this spread. Here are just a few:
- use it as a sandwich spread
- use it as a dip or add some to your favorite dips (hummus, 7 layer dips, etc.)
- create bruschetta with it simply by spreading some olive paste over toasted bread then topping with capers and tomatoes
- serve it alongside a meal to kick the flavor up another notch (grilled chicken, fish, roasted veggies…)
- add it to pasta
- add it to appetizer boards and platters
Purchase your kitchen essentials using my affiliate links helps support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you!
- 300 grams Kalamata olives, pitted
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Zest of a quarter of a lemon
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, rosemary, or thyme
- Black pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoon sundried tomatoes
- • Capers
- • Chopped parsley
- • Olive oil
- • Diced tomatoes
- Remove the pits from the olives either by squeezing them with your fingers until the seed pops out or by hitting them with a meat mallet. Discard the seeds
- Place all of the ingredients (except the garnish) in a food processor fitted with the blades and pulse until the mixture reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve as a spread over bread, breadsticks, or to add a flavor boost to your meal. Enjoy!