- Serves 6-8:
- 2 cups canned chickpeas, drained, liquid reserved
- 1 fresh garlic clove
- 3 roasted garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup tahini paste (or less)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2-4 tablespoons reserved chick pea liquid
- salt, to taste
- Garnishes: olive oil, sumac, olives, chopped parsley
Place the fresh garlic clove in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Add tahini paste with lemon juice and puree until smooth.
Add chickpeas and puree until they break down and begin to form a paste.
Add 2 tablespoons of reserved chickpea liquid and puree until silky smooth.
Season with salt and cumin powder. Puree.
Taste and add more lemon juice or reserved chickpea liquid to create your desired consistency.
Place in a serving plate and drizzle with olive oil.
Dust some sumac and garnish with olives and freshly chopped parsley.
Serve with warm pita.