This tomato soup is full of flavor and pairs beautifully with a Grilled Cheese Croissant. The recipe will be below the soup.
CREAMY ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
- 2 pounds Roma (plum) tomatoes, about 16 tomatoes
- 2 small onions, peeled and quartered
- 5-6 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 quart water or vegetable broth
- fresh basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit, 230 degrees Celsius.
- Wash and dry the tomatoes. Cut them into 4 pieces each and place in a tray.
- Add the quartered onions to the pan.
- Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables.
- Season with salt, pepper, and dried basil. Toss to coat.
- Roast for 45 minutes to an hour or until the vegetables at the edges of the pan are caramelized.
- Puree the roasted vegetables with the water and tomato paste in 2-3 batches until smooth.
- Place the puree in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add some more liquid to thin to your desired consistency.
- Season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the heave whipping cream in and stir.
- Garnish with fresh basil or with more dried basil.
- Serve hot.
- For the Grilled Cheese Croissant:
- Makes 1:
- 1 croissant
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese or gouda
- 2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or oregano
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, 175 degrees Celsius.
- Slice the croissant in half to separate the top and bottom.
- Place the cheeses and dried basil on the bottom part of croissant slice. Place the croissant top over the cheese.
- Bake the croissant on a tray lined with parchment paper for 5-6 minutes or until the croissant is toasted and cheese is melted.
Leave a Reply