PEINIRLI: GREEK-PIZZA BOATS
Yield: 6 Pizza Boats
For the dough:
- 3 cups lukewarm water
- 2 ¼ teaspoons dry active yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups (790 grams) bread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (or your favorite herb)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
The pizza Sauce:
- 15 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1.5 oz. tomato paste (put the rest in an airtight container and freeze for another recipe)
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon (or more) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 and ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Grated gouda, mozzarella, or Kasseri cheese (or a combination of all three)
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Sliced peppers
- Sliced onions
- Cooked spinach
- Sliced mushrooms
- Thick meat sauce
- Red Pepper Sauce
- Pizza Sauce
- Leftover cooked chicken
- To make the dough:
- Combine the water, yeast, sugar, and all-purpose flour in the bowl of a table top mixer fitted with the dough hook attachment. (This can also be prepared without a mixer and kneaded by hand) Allow this mixture to sit for 15 minutes so the yeast can activate. It is alive and active when a foamy cloud appears.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (except the olive oil) in a large bowl and whisk together. Add to the mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and knead on low speed for 8-10 minutes. If kneading by hand, knead an additional 5 minutes.
- Place the dough in a well-oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Set aside to rise until doubled in volume. This can take 1-2 hours. The dough can also be stored in the refrigerator for a slow-rise overnight or up to 4 days.
- Preheat the oven to 525 °F, 275 °C.
- TIP: For best results place a pizza stone in the oven while it is preheating. This will help create a wonderful pizza crust.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 5-6 pieces or more if you’re making smaller pizza boats.
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out each piece of dough into an oblong shape about 10-12 inches long and 6-7 inches wide.
- Brush lightly with the herbed olive oil. Sprinkle some crumbled feta around the edges of dough and roll the dough over the feta to form a crust all around. Place onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Place your favorite fillings in the center. Here are some of my favorite combinations:
- NY Pizza:
- 2-4 tablespoons of pizza sauce
- Combination of shredded gouda and mozzarella cheese
- Sliced onions and bell peppers
- Meat Sauce:
- A layer of basic meat sauce topped with shredded cheese
- Tomato Sauce, onions, mushroom slices and an egg
- There are so many options for the filling. This is a great time to use up any leftovers in your refrigerator: roasted chicken, roasted veggies, spinach, etc... Get creative!
- Lightly brush the crust with the herbed oil and bake for 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply