Warm, creamy, and hearty roasted veggie soup!
watch the video:
Warm up on cold days with my delicious roasted cauliflower soup. It’s thick and creamy with a smooth, hearty texture and is full of rich nutty cauliflower flavor. The perfect creaminess comes from blending most of the veggies instead of using lots of cream, and you can make it as thick as you’d like. Plus, I add more texture by just breaking up the rest of the veggies into the soup. The whole family is going to love it!
Why you’ll make this all winter
Smoky roasted cauliflower
A delicious creamy roasted cauliflower and veggie soup everyone will love!
Here’s what you need
- Cauliflower hearts -washed and separated into florets
- Onion -finely chopped
- Olive oil
- Garlic cloves -grated or minced
- Potato -peeled and cubed
- Carrot -washed and dried
- Chicken stock -sub water or veggie broth for vegetarian soup
- Heavy cream -to taste
- Parmesan cheese or kefalotiri -optional
- Dried oregano
- Crushed red pepper flakes
- Cumin powder
- Freshly ground pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon -optional to brighten the soup
How to make cauliflower soup
- Preheat the oven to 425 °F, 220 °C.
- Place the cauliflower florets, potatoes, and carrots onto a large baking tray.
- Drizzle with a quarter cup of olive oil and season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Roast the vegetables for 30-40 minutes or until tender and golden.
- Add the remaining oil to a Dutch oven pot along with the onion and cook over medium heat until soft and golden -about 8 minutes.
- Add the grated garlic and warm through for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Transfer the roasted veggies and any juices to the pot reserving a few cauliflower florets for later.
- Then, pour the chicken broth/water over the vegetables.
- Season with salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes, and bring to a boil.
- Simmer the soup on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Then, puree the soup to your desired consistency with an immersion blender or blend the soup in a few batches using a blender.
- Add the reserved cauliflower to the pot along with the cream and cheese (if using).
- Warm through and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Then, add the lemon juice and serve
Making a big pot of soup and freezing the leftovers is one of the easiest ways to meal prep or make meals ahead. Prepare the soup up to the point where it has been pureed. Then, allow the soup to completely cool and transfer it all or individual portions to freezer-safe containers. It will stay fresh for up to 3 months. Warm through and add the cheese, cream, and lemon juice. Serve.
I like to serve this creamy roasted cauliflower soup in a big bowl sprinkled with sumac on top. Sumac is a tangy middle eastern spice that’s almost lemony and compliments the richness of the soup. If you don’t have that, you can stick with a squeeze a lemon juice. Some like to add parmesan to the soup with the cream, but I prefer to sprinkle it or feta on top. I know you aren’t surprised by that with my obsession of feta. Serve it with rustic chunks of toasted bread so you can sop up every drop of this soup. Kali Orexi!
More Soup Recipes:
- Mediterranean Red Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Lemony Chicken Orzo Soup
- Tortellini Soup
- Greek Fisherman’s Soup
CREAMY ROASTED CAULIFLOWER SOUP
- 2 cauliflower hearts, washed and separated into florets
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 carrot, washed and dried
- 2 quarts (2 liters) chicken stock or water
- Heavy cream, to taste
- Parmesan cheese or kefalotiri
- Dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- juice of 1 lemon
Preheat the oven to 425 °F, 220 °C.
Place the cauliflower florets, the potato, and carrot onto a large baking tray. Drizzle with a quarter cup of olive oil and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
Roast the vegetables for 30-40 minutes or until tender and golden.
Add the remaining oil to a Dutch oven pot along with the onion and cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 8 minutes.
Add the grated garlic and warm through for a few seconds until fragrant.
Transfer the roasted veggies and any juices to the pot. Pour the chicken broth/water over the vegetables. Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper flakes and bring to a boil.
Note: Reserve a few cauliflower florets for later.
Simmer the soup on medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
Puree the soup with an immersion bleder. Alternatively blend the soup in a few batches using a blender. Puree to your desired consistency.
Add the reserved cauliflower to the pot along with the cream and cheese (if using). Warm through and taste. Adjust seasoning if needed.
Add the lemon juice and serve with toasted bread.
Freezer Instructions: Prepare the soup up to the point where it has been pureed. Cool and transfer to freezer-safe containers. Freeze for up to 3 months. Warm through and add the cheese, cream, and lemon juice. Serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Vitamix Explorian Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Low-Profile Container, Black - 65542 (Renewed)
Cuisinart Immersion Hand Blender with Storage Bag
Staub Cast Iron 7-qt Round Cocotte - White Truffle, Made in France
Lodge Enameled Dutch Oven, 6 Qt, Midnight Chrome
Leave a Reply