A delicious low-carb casserole you can make ahead for any meal!
Watch the Video:
You’ll want to make a double batch of this low-carb zucchini, feta, and egg casserole. That way, you’ll have one to eat and one for the freezer. It comes out like a cross between a soufflé and a frittata. So, if you like those, you’re going to love this. You can serve it warm, cold, or at room temperature, making it an excellent option for picnics or lunchboxes.
Why you’ll make this every weekend
- Light, herb eggs
- Salty, creamy feta
- Soft, textured zucchini
- You’ll have a delicious, versatile casserole on hand for any meal!
Everything you’ll need
- Zucchini –shredded
- Olive oil –try the new olive oil in our shop straight from Crete!
- Scallions –thinly sliced and swirled in water to remove any dirt
- Garlic cloves –grated
- Heavy cream –or sour cream
- Feta cheese
- Dried dill or finely chopped fresh dill
- Finely chopped mint –parsley, oregano, or thyme would be good too
- Shredded mozzarella –or white cheddar cheese, parmesan, or a cheese combination
A few more veggie options
Actually, you can add any other veggies you like to this casserole. Try some roasted red peppers, mushrooms, or your favorite olives to keep it Greek-style. If you want a touch or more heat, add some crushed red pepper flakes to the eggs. Let me know how you make it!
How to make zucchini, feta, and egg casserole
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
- Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of salt. Toss and set aside in the sink or over a bowl to drain for 15 minutes.
- Sauté the scallions in the olive oil over medium heat until soft—about 3 minutes.
- Then, add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
- Squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini and add it to the scallions and garlic.
- Cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. The zucchini will release more juices and will dry in the pan.
- Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool or cool in the pan.
- Once cooled, add the herbs and toss them together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Next, beat the eggs and cream and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add the zucchini to the eggs and stir together.
- Crumble the feta cheese into the mix and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased 9 x 13-inch (23 by 33 cm) baking pan.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top and bake on the center rack for about 25 minutes.
- Cool for about 15 minutes, cut into squares, and serve.
Bake the casserole and allow it to cool completely. Cut it into portions and transfer it to a freezer-safe bag or container. You can keep it fresh in the freezer for up to 2 months. Thaw and toast in the oven to serve.
This casserole is best when served warm or at room temperature. Add a bowl of tzatziki on the side so everyone can dollop as much as they’d like on top. You can serve it with a side salad, cauliflower rice, or even put it on a sandwich if you don’t care about keeping it low-carb. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-6 days. Doesn’t that sound like delicious zucchini, feta, and egg casserole every day of the week? Kali Orexi!
More Low-Carb Recipes:
- Eggplant with Spinach & Feta Lasagna
- Low-carb Moussaka
- Spinach with Feta & Eggs
- Mediterranean Stuffed Zucchini Boats
- Beef Shawarma
- Greek Chicken Saganaki with broccolini
- 4 zucchini, shredded
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 6-8 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 6 (large) eggs
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or sour cream
- 6 oz feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1/4 cup fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped mint or parsley
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 375 °F, 190 °C.
Place the shredded zucchini in a colander and sprinkle 1-2 teaspoons of salt on top. Toss and set aside either in the sink or over a bowl to drain for 15 minutes. Squeeze the liquid out of the zucchini.
Saute the scallions in the olive oil over medium heat until soft. About 3 minutes. Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant.
Add the drained zucchini and cook over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes. The zucchini will release more juices and will dry in the pan. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool or cool in the pan. Add the herbs and toss together. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Beat the eggs and cream and season with a little salt and black pepper.
Add the zucchini to the eggs and mix together. Crumble the feta cheese and mix together.
Transfer the mixture to a greased 9 by 13-inch (23 by 33 cm) baking pan.
Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top and bake on the center rack for about 25 minutes.
Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature with tzatziki. Kali Orexi!
Freezer Instructions: Bake the casserole and allow it to cool completely. Cut into portions and transfer to a freezer-safe bag or container. Keep frozen for up to 2 months. Thaw, toast in the oven and serve.
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Thyme Honey from Crete: Uncle Dimitris Honey (470g/ 1 lb)
Isaac Mizrahi 6 qt Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid - Red
STAUB Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish, 13x9-inch, Dark Blue
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue