An easy dish that’s ready in 15 minutes. Serve it for Brunch, lunch, or dinner. It’s great with toasted bread or on its own.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ¼ medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 handfuls baby spinach leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese, or more
- 2-3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Pinch of grated nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- Cook chopped onion with butter and olive oil over medium heat. Season with a pinch of salt and cook until soft and golden. About 8 minutes.
- Add spinach in batches and cook until wilted. Season with black pepper.
- Pour heavy whipping cream and top with feta and a pinch of nutmeg. Bring to a boil and season with salt.
- Make 2 wells for the eggs. Carefully crack each egg into the well.
- Note: You may alternatively crack each egg into a ramekin and then place in the pan.
- Season lightly with salt.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook over low heat about 4 minutes or until the egg whites have set and the yolk is still runny. Take care not to overcook because the eggs will continue to cook even when taken off the heat.
- Season with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- You may also garnish the eggs with some fresh dill instead of the red pepper flakes
- This can be made in larger batches to serve a crowd by cooking the onions in a larger pan, adding the spinach and all the other steps as stated in the recipe up to the cream. Bring to a boil and transfer to a large oven proof baking dish. Make 8 wells and add the eggs. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake in a 375 °F oven for about 12-15 minutes or until the whites are set.
- A combination of greens can be used such as: beet greens, baby kale, and Swiss chard.