This tart has it all. It’s beautiful, sweet, and filled with that delicious almond frangipane filling. It’s a showstopper that will impress your guests and delight their bellies!
- 3 cups cherries, pitted plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam, to coat crust
For the Crust:
- 1 and ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 6 ounces cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 4 tablespoons ice cold water
For the Almond Filling:
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ cups finely ground almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Zest of a small lemon or orange
For the Streusel Topping (optional):
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulate sugar
- 1 and ½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Make the Crust:
- • Combine the flour, sugar, and salt in the bowl of a tabletop mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
- • Add the butter and beat on low speed until the butter crumbles into very small pieces.
- • Add the almond extract and the water and mix on low speed just until the dough sticks together.
- • Transfer onto a well-floured work surface and roll out to a 12-inch circle. Transfer to a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Trim the excess dough that is hanging outside the pan and press into the sides of the pan and into any thin areas.
- • Freeze at least 1 hour up to 1 month. (It’s a great idea to make a few of these and keep them handy in the freezer.)
- Make the Streusel:
- • Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix well. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use. This streusel can be made in larger batches and stored in an airtight container in the freezer and added to cakes and muffins.
- Make the Almond filling:
- • Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a tabletop mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and beat until incorporated.
- • Add the eggs, vanilla, and almond extract and beat until incorporated.
- • Combine the almond flour with the lemon zest and salt in a mixing bowl. Whisk together. Add to mixer and beat until incorporated.
- Make the Tart:
- • Pierce the bottom of the tart shell with a fork.
- • Bake on the center rack of the oven for 30 minutes.
- • Spread the apricot jam on bottom of crust and top with the almond filling.
- • Arrange the pitted cherries on top of the almond filling.
- • Top with streusel.
- • Bake 40-45 minutes.
- • Transfer the tart onto a cooling rack and allow to cool to room temperature before removing from tart pan.
- • Serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or dusted with confectioner’s sugar. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply