The combination of cherries and almond are perfection together. This is not only the perfect cake to serve at tea, it’s elegant enough to delight dinner party guests and a showstopper dessert that can double as decor for the table. A delicious dessert to make when cherries are in season.
- 25 cherries, pitted
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
For the Streusel:
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
The Wet Ingredients:
- 8 ounces unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 and ½ cups granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 and ¼ cup yogurt
The Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina flour
- Zest of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Combine all of the streusel ingredients in a small bowl. Mix together and set aside to chill in the freezer.
- Remove the pits from the cherries and set aside.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk together.
- Beat the butter, sugar, and extracts together until thick and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat on high speed until incorporated.
- Add yogurt and beat until incorporated.
- Carefully add the dry ingredients in 2-3 batches beating on low speed until just incorporated.
- Transfer the batter into a 10-inch round spring-form pan that has been greased and lined with parchment paper.
- Place the cherries on top of the batter.
- Top with the streusel and bake on the center rack of the oven until a toothpick that is inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. About 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool completely and serve with whipped cream, ice cream, or a light dusting of confectioner’s sugar.
Pin For Your Pinterest!