It’s so much easier to make than apple pie and, dare I say, even more delicious!
Watch the Video:
I discovered the most delicious caramel apple galette when experimenting with puff pastry one day. I wanted the flavors of apple pie but an easier way to get them, and it turned out even better than I imagined. The puff pastry made the galette super simple to put together, and it was a beautiful, impressive crowd-pleaser.
Homemade pie crust is hard to beat, but puff pastry is buttery, flaky, and ready from the store. Easy and delicious definitely has a place in my kitchen. Unfortunately, I haven’t found a clean caramel sauce at the store that I would serve to my loved ones, but my homemade version is simple and luscious. When you put the two together with apples, it’s a galette made in heaven!
What makes this better than apple pie?
Sticky caramel sauce,
Tender, cinnamon spice apples,
Flaky puff pastry.
You’ll have to restrain yourself from the incredible combination of puffy, flaky pastry, cinnamon apples, and velvety caramel sauce!
What do I need?
Puff pastry sheet -I buy my puff pastry sheets from a restaurant supply store because they are twice the size of store-bought. However, if you get yours at the store, just combine them to form a larger sheet.
Homemade caramel sauce -silky, creamy, sweet, rich homemade sauce
Apple Pie Filling -this is the same filling I use for all of my apple pie desserts because once you perfect something, you don’t change it.
Egg wash -helps brown the top of the puff pastry to a perfect golden brown.
Granulated sugar -this adds a sweet crunch to the puff pastry crust.
What’s in homemade Caramel Sauce?
Granulated sugar -the base of every good caramel sauce.
Water -I saw Ina Garten add this to her sugar to avoid burning the sugar, and it was a game changer for my caramel sauce.
Butter -cubed unsalted butter so you can control the salt. If your salted butter isn’t too salty, you can use that and omit the extra pinch of salt.
Heavy whipping cream -adds to the creamy, luscious texture of the caramel.
Pure vanilla extract -gives the sugar and cream a beautiful flavor that pairs so well with the apples.
Salt -enhances all the flavors after you combine them together.
What’s in the Apple Filling?
Large apples -peeled, cored, and cut into slices. You can use Gala, Pink Lady, or your favorite. If you like a tarter filling, use granny smith apples.
Juice of half lemon -Always use fresh lemon juice. The acidity keeps the apples from browning and brightens the filling to keep it light.
Brown sugar -the molasses in the sugar richens the flavor.
Cornstarch -helps thicken the juices the apples release to prevent soggy puff pastry.
Ground cinnamon -the warm spice that pairs with the apple to make the perfect apple pie flavor.
Just two ingredients for the best egg wash?
Egg -gives the baked puff pastry a slightly shiny golden-brown color.
Milk -helps add extra shine and the perfect color to the puff pastry.
How to Make the Most Delicious Caramel Apple Galette in Puff Pastry?
Make the Caramel Sauce:
When you cook sugar, it releases a lot of steam and bubbles up higher than expected for just a few ingredients. So, be sure to make your caramel sauce in a deep saucepan. Start by combining the water and sugar in the pan and cook over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until a caramel color is reached. Remove from heat and add the butter. Whisk together while wearing oven mitts because the steam is dangerously hot! Add the cream and vanilla and return to medium heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring constantly. Add a pinch of salt and pass through a strainer into a heat-proof bowl. As it cools, the caramel sauce will thicken.
Can I make the caramel sauce ahead of time?
The Caramel sauce keeps fresh in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks and in the freezer for over a month. So, make it ahead of time or make extra to have some on hand. It’s the best ice cream topping ever!
Assemble the galette
Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the puff pastry sheet 3-4 inches on all sides. Transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and chill in the freezer while the apple filling is prepared.
Slice the apples 1/8-1/4 inch thick and place the slices into a large bowl. Top with brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and cinnamon, and toss together until the apples are coated.
Arrange the apples in the center of the puff pastry sheet, leaving a 3-inch border. Then, fold the puff pastry crust over the edge of the apple filling to create a border. Press together to seal (see video).
Whisk together the egg and milk in a bowl, brush the egg wash over the crust, and sprinkle with some granulated sugar. Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C, and chill the galette in the freezer while the oven preheats.
Bake the Galette
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes. As soon as the galette comes out of the oven, drizzle about a cup of the caramel sauce over the apples. Then, let the galette sit until room temperature.
What is the best way to serve an apple galette?
Your house will smell absolutely incredible after baking this, and everyone will come to the kitchen to see what you’ve made. You can serve this with homemade whipped cream or ice cream or sprinkle confectioner’s sugar on top. If you like nuts with apples, you can top each slice with roasted pecans or walnuts. A cup of Greek coffee balances out the sweetness perfectly. So, have enough ready for all of your guests. Kali Orexi!
Do you have more apple recipes?
Fall is apple season, and I use them in a lot of desserts. My Apple Baklava Tart in Phyllo looks similar to this galette, but has all the flavors of baklava. I use the apple pie filling in my Apple Turnovers, Apple Phyllo Rolls, and Apple Tart. If you’re looking for an apple dessert without using the filling, try my Apple Olive Oil Cake, Apple filled Tsoureki or Greek-Style Apple Spice Cake & Loaf. They are all delicious!
- 1 (12oz/340g) puff pastry sheet
For the Caramel Sauce:
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 6 oz butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
For the Apple Filling:
- 4 large apples (Gala, Granny Smith, or Pink Lady) peeled and cored
- juice of half lemon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
The egg wash:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- granulated sugar for topping
- ice cream
- toasted chopped pecans
- confectioner's sugar
- Make the Caramel Sauce: In a deep saucepan, combine the water and sugar and cook over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes or until a caramle color is reached. Remove from heat and add the butter. Whisk together while wearing oven mitts. The steam is dangerously hot! Add the cream and vanilla and return to medium-heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes while stirring. Add a pinch of salt and pass through a strainer and into a heat-ptoof bowl. As it cools, the caramel sauce will thicken.
- Assemble the Galette:
- Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the puff pastry sheet 3-4 inches on all sides. Transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper and chill in the freezer while the apple filling is prepared.
- Slice the apples 1/8-1/4 inch thick and place the slices into a large bowl. Top with the brown sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, and cinnamon. Toss together until the apples are coated.
- Arrange the apples in the center of the puff pastry sheet. Leave a 3-inch border.
- Fold the puff pastry crust over the edge of the apple filling to create a border. Press together to seal (see video).
- Combine the egg and milk in a bowl and whisk together. Brush the eggwash over the crust and sprinkle with some granulated sugar.
- Chill the galette in the freezer while the oven preheats.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 °F, 200 °C.
4. Bake the Galette on the center rack for 40-45 minutes.
5. As soon as the galette comes out of the oven drizzle about a cup of the caramel sauce over the apples.
6. Serve with ice cream and Greek Coffee.
- The Caramel sauce keeps fresh in the refrigerator for 2-3 weeks and in the freezer for over a month.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Spode Blue Italian Pitcher | 3.5 Pint Capacity | Home Décor for Mantel or Centerpiece | Use as a Water Jug or Flower Vase | Made of Fine Porcelain | Dishwasher Safe
American METALCRAFT, Inc. Pizza Pan,Wide Rim,16 In.
Mito Chef Knife
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Godinger Dublin Cake Plate Cake Stand,12 inches