Better than classic apple pie with the most delicious apple filling!
Watch the Video:
My apple phyllo rolls, or Greek Milopitakia rolls, are so delicious that they’re better than most apple pies. The filling is to die for, and the phyllo is so flaky you can’t resist them. They are easy to make and have several make-ahead options. You can make the apple filling over a week ahead of time or assemble them for the freezer. Plus, you can choose your topping. I like to dust these with powdered sugar because they’re less sticky and sweet. However, I didn’t forget the sticky, sweet version.
Why you’ll always have these in your freezer
Crispy, flaky phyllo
Gooey cinnamon sauce
Individual cinnamon apple stuffed phyllo rolls that make you forget about apple pie!
Everything you need
- #4 phyllo pastry –thawed and at room temperature
- Butter –melted
- Ground walnuts –or pecans
- Raisins –substitute dried cherries or your favorite dried fruit
- Powdered sugar for garnish
- Apples –peeled, cored, and diced
- Unsalted butter –room temperature
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Heavy whipping cream
I like to dust the entire outside of my rolls with powdered sugar, but make simple syrup if you’d like a baklava flavor. You’ll need one cup of water, ½-3/4 cup of sugar, ½ cup honey, a cinnamon stick, some orange zest, and up to a teaspoon of vanilla extract. Combine everything in a pot and stir until the sugar is melted and the syrup is hot. Cool the syrup completely, and pour it over the rolls as soon as they come out of the oven.
How to make Apple Phyllo Rolls: Greek Milopitakia Rolls
Make the apple filling:
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add all of the remaining filling ingredients except for the cream and cook until it thickens. The apples should be fork-tender.
- Remove from the heat, mix in the heavy cream, and set aside to cool completely.
- The filling can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Assemble the Rolls:
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Lay one sheet of phyllo flat on your work surface and drizzle some melted butter on top of it.
- Lightly brush the butter over the surface of the phyllo and then fold the sheet in half, lengthwise.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of the apple filling at the bottom of the sheet.
- Sprinkle some raisins and walnuts on top.
- Then, fold the sides over to cover some of the filling and roll upwards.
- Place the rolls on the baking trays and brush the tops with melted butter.
- Pierce 3-4 holes on top of each roll to allow the steam to escape.
- Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until golden and crisp –about 25-30 minutes.
- As soon as the pastries come out of the oven, dust them with confectioner’s sugar and set them aside to cool completely.
Assemble the rolls and place them on the parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the entire tray in the freezer until frozen solid. Then, wrap the tray tightly in plastic wrap or transfer the rolls into freezer-safe bags. The rolls will keep fresh frozen for up to 3 months. Bake them frozen at 350 °F until golden brown.
The combination of apples, walnuts, and raisins takes me back to my childhood. My mom used this combination for an apple filling she stuffed in puff pastry. She would make it as a treat for breakfast, and I loved it. These rolls remind me so much of those treats. I put my apple phyllo rolls on a beautiful serving platter and have hot Greek coffee ready. Your friends and family will love these. Kali Orexi!
More Apple Recipes:
Apple Phyllo Rolls: Greek Milopitakia Rolls
The most delicious apple pie filling rolled in flaky phyllo. These are better than classic apple pie!
- 1 (#4) pound phyllo pastry, thawed and at room temperature
- 1/2 pound butter, melted
- ground walnuts or pecans
- powdered sugar for garnish
The apple Filling:
- 10 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 4 oz (114g) unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 and 1.2 tablespoons (50g) cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
Line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
Make the apple filling:
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all of the remaining filling ingredients except for the cream. Cook the filling until it thickens. The apples should be fork tender. Remove from the heat and add the heavy cream. Mix and set aside to cool completely. The filling can be stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Assemble the Rolls:
Lay one sheet of phyllo flat on your work surface and drizzle some melted butter on top of it. Lightly brush the butter over the surface of the phyllo and then fold the sheet in half, lengthwise.
Place a heaping tablespoon of he apple filling at the bottom of the sheet. Sprinkle some raisins and walnuts on top. Fold the sides over to cover some of the filling and roll upwards.
Place the rolls on the baking trays and brush the tops with melted butter.
Pierce 3-4 holes on top of each roll to allow the steam to escape.
Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven until golden and crisp. About 25-30 minutes.
As soon as the pastried come out of the oven dust them with confectioner's sugar and set aside to cool completely.
Serve with Greek coffee. Kali Orexi!
Make -Ahead Freezer Instructions: Assemle the rolls and set in the freezer until frozen solid. Wrap the trays tightly in plastic wrap or transfer the rolls into freezer-safe bags. The rolls will keep fresh frozen for up to 3 months. Bake them frozen at 350 °F until golden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker's Quarter Sheet, 2-Pack
Leave a Reply