Milopita is an apple spice cake that is filled with apples. It’s very easy to put together using a bowl and a whisk. No special equipment is needed for this recipe. This cake has all of the flavors of fall like warm cinnamon and cloves, sweet apples, and hearty walnuts and raisins. You can serve it for brunch or at your Holiday table.
As I was testing this recipe, 2 ideas came to mind. The first was a spice cake similar in texture and flavor to a karidopita (Greek Spiced Walnut Cake) but, without the syrup and with a few apples on top. I also love cakes that are full of fruit like banana bread because they’re so moist and delicious. So, I made both! One recipe, 2 desserts. Make whichever you prefer or do as I did and make one of each.
The apple spice cake is more well, as the title suggests, like a cake. It has all of the flavors of fall, including the apples, but on top, not inside the cake. The sliced apples on top of the cake dehydrate during the baking process and add a wonderfully sweet, chewy bite.
The apple spice loaf is more like a loaf of banana bread. Moist, dense, and loaded with fruit. I should have named it “Apple Pie Bread” because the apples taste like pie filling.
I think you’re going to enjoy both pastries and they may even make an appearance on your holiday table. They’re that good!
If you need loaf pans, purchase them from my Amazon affiliate and support my work without any extra charge 🙂
The Dry Ingredients:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
The Wet Ingredients:
- 4 eggs
- 1 and ½ cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Fuji apples, peeled, cored, and finely diced
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½-1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 Fuji apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (approximately) granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F, 180 °C.
- Grease 2 (8.5 by 4.25 by 2.75 inches) loaf pans with soft or melted butter and line them with parchment paper.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl and whisk together until smooth.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and whisk together. Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until combined.
- Combine the raisins, walnuts, and 2 tablespoons of flour in a small bowl and mix together. Fold these into the batter.
- For the Apple Spice cake, pour half of the batter into one of the prepared loaf pans. If you’re making two apple spice cakes then, pour the remaining batter in the other loaf pan.
- Combine the diced apples, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl and mix together. Add a tablespoon of flour and it mix together. Add the apples to the remaining batter to make the Apple Spice Loaf. Fold the apples into the batter then, pour it into the prepared loaf pan.
- Arrange the apple slices over the batter (both pans) then brush them with the melted butter. Sprinkle the granulated sugar on top.
- Bake in the center rack of the oven.
- The Apple Spice Cake will bake faster than the loaf. Check them at the 40-45-minute mark by inserting a toothpick in the center of the cake/loaf. If the toothpick comes out clean, then, they are ready.
- The Spice Cake should be ready at 45 minutes.
- The Apple Loaf cake, that has the diced apples inside, will take longer. Up to 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cakes to cool for 10-15 minutes, inside the loaf pans. Run a knife around the edges and take the cakes out of the pans. Set on serving trays and cool completely.
- Dust with some confectioner’s sugar and serve with tea or coffee. Enjoy!
Granny Smith apples are too tart for this cake. It is better to use Fuji, Gala, Braeburn, Honeycrisp, or any apples that will not melt that are also sweet. Red delicious apples will turn to applesauce. The Apple Spice cake (without the apples inside the batter) will bake much faster than the loaf. It will be ready in 40-45 minutes. The Apple Spice Loaf (full of apples) will take at least an hour, depending on your oven, to bake. Chop the apples very small so that they bake evenly.
Pin For Your Pinterest!