Fakorizo is the Greek word for lentil rice. Here we have a very simple dish made with inexpensive ingredients that is flavorful and nutritious. Above all, it is very easy to make and a protein-packed vegan dish.
Watch the Video Tutorial Here:
This is a very healthy recipe packed with nutrients. According to this article on verywellfit.com, here’s what you get out of 1 cup of cooked lentils:
- 220 calories
- 17.2 grams of fiber
- 17.2 grams of protein
- 43 percent of your daily recommended allowance of folate
- 171 mg of phosphorus
- zinc, B6, thiamine, copper,as well as trace minerals
There are so many benefits and you can read all about them here.
Which lentils should I use to make this fakorizo?
You can use any green or brown lentils that you love or that are already in your pantry. Accordingly, follow the package instructions because they all take different amounts of time to cook. French lentils are smaller and more compact and tend to hold their shape better. They also take a little longer to cook. Traditional brown lentils cook faster and are softer.
Can I use red lentils?
While red lentils are a common Mediterranean pantry staple, I do not recommend them for this recipe. They turn into mush pretty quickly. Firmer lentils are preferred in this dish.
Purchase your kitchen essentials using my affiliate links to support my work without costing you anything extra. Thank you!
I love to serve Fakorizo with olives, lemon wedges, and feta. Of course if you’re keeping this dish vegan leave the feta out. Here are some of my favorite sides:
I hope that you enjoy this recipe and would love to hear how you made it.
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 7 ounces canned diced tomatoes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup uncooked lentils
- 1 cup Basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges and olives for serving
- Optional: feta cheese for serving
- Rinse the rice under cold water 5-6 times. Soak in a bowl with cold water for 15 minutes or until ready to use.
- Add 1 cup of lentils and the Bay leaf to boiling salted water. Cook for 15 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of the water. Drain and set the lentils aside.
- Cook the onions with the olive oil over medium heat until soft and golden. 8-10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and warm through until fragrant. 20-30 seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Drain the rice and add to the pot with the onions. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt (or less).
- Add the reserved cup of lentil water and the lentils. Mix together and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cover the pot. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chopped parsley and fluff the rice.
- Serve with lemon wedges and feta (optional). Enjoy!
Here’s a pin for your Pinterest