ROKA SALATA: GREEK ROCKET (ARUGULA) SALAD
- About 5-6 cups baby romaine
- About 1-2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 5-6 figs, sliced
- Shaved kefalotiri or parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Hands down, this is my all time favorite salad. I'm addicted to this, it's that good. I had this for the first time ever this past summer in Crete, Greece. It's really as popular as the traditional village salad. I ate this at local pizza shops and in upscale restaurants there. It's known as "Roka". That's the Greek word for arugula. Anytime I heard "Roka" I couldn't help but sing Shakira's song "Loka Loka" in my head.....just thought I'd put that out there..lol
- Ok, back to the salad. It's an insanely delicious flavor combination of peppery baby arugula with crunchy pine nuts (or whatever nuts you prefer, I've had it with cashews, pecans and with almonds. It was delicious every time.) sweet figs (my favorite fruit), juicy cherry tomatoes and dressed in a sweet balsamic and honey vinaigrette. It literally takes a few minutes to put together and looks amazing and elegant. A guaranteed crowd pleaser!
- Make the vinaigrette first by combining the balsamic vinegar,
- olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- Whisk well to emulsify .
- Place all of the other ingredients into a salad bowl leaving out the pine nuts and parmesan cheese.
- Pour the salad dressing over the salad and mix well so that everything is coated. Add the nuts and cheese. Serve!
- Seriously, it's that simple 🙂
Leave a Reply