- ½ medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, whole
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1-pound canned tomatoes (preferably San Marzano tomatoes)
- ½ pound jarred, drained roasted red peppers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon sugar or honey (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed oregano
- Approx. ¼ cup chopped fresh herbs: basil, parsley, dill
- Combine the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a saucepan or pot and cook over medium-low heat until soft and golden. About 10 minutes.
- Smash the garlic.
- Add the tomatoes, peppers, salt, black pepper, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes. Cook over high heat until the mixture boils. Cover and reduce the heat to a low and cook for 25 minutes or until the tomatoes and peppers break down and the mixture is nice and thick.
- Taste and adjust seasoning. Add sugar if desired and mix well.
- Stir in the chopped herbs.
- Cool completely and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- This sauce can be used to cook chicken, fish, eggs, or to use as a dip.