A very flavorful recipe that comes together in under an hour that is perfect for a weeknight meal and elegant enough for entertaining. Serve this smoky sauce with perfectly cooked shrimp over zoodles for a low-carb meal or over your favorite pasta.
- 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salta and pepper to taste
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, grated
- 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 tablespoon sundried tomatoes packed in oil
- ¾-1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced scallions
- Shredded parmesan to garnish
- Fresh basil leaves as garnish
- Season the shrimp lightly with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Place the shrimp in an even layer inside the pot. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until pink all around. If shrimp are overcrowding the pot sear them in 2 batches. Take the shrimp out and set in a plate.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the onions along with the butter and a pinch of salt. Cook until soft and golden. 6-8 minutes. If onions begin to brown too fast add ½ cup of water to the pot and cook until the water evaporates, and the onions have softened.
- Puree the roasted red peppers with the sundried tomatoes until smooth.
- Add garlic and warm through 30-40 seconds.
- Add pureed peppers along with the heavy cream and paprika. Season with salt and the red pepper flakes.
- Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until the sauce thickens. About 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Add the crumbled feta along with the shrimp and warm the shrimp through 4- 5 minutes or until fully cooked.
- Garnish with scallions and basil and serve over zoodles or pasta.