A quick and simple Greek classic packed with veggies and flavor!
Watch the Video:
Prasorizo is a delicious, classic Greek dish made with a handful of simple ingredients and comes together in no time. It’s an oil-based vegetarian pilaf usually made with lots of rich olive oil, leeks, and rice. However, you can add as much or little olive oil as you prefer. The pilaf is healthy, packed full of veggies, and perfect as a vegan meal option. It’s loaded with flavor and pairs well as a side with fish, chicken, and lamb. This will be a go-to!
Why this pilaf will be a go-to!
Rich olive oil
A deliciously fresh and creamy rice pilaf packed with veggies and flavor!
A handful of fresh ingredients
- Olive oil –ours is straight from Crete!
- Fresh leeks -cut into half-moons
- Scallions -thinly sliced
- Garlic cloves -grated or minced
- Onion -finely chopped
- Arborio rice -or your favorite white rice
- Water -or broth
- Dried dill -or one tablespoon of fresh dill
- Fresh lemon juice
- Freshly cracked black pepper
The best rice for prasorizo
I like to use arborio rice for prasorizo because it really creates a creamy pilaf. If you want something lighter, you can use basmati or your favorite white rice. I wouldn’t recommend brown rice, so any white rice you have on hand would be good.
How to make Greek Leeks and Rice Pilaf, known as Prasorizo
- Cut the dark green portions off of the leeks and discard them.
- Slice the leeks in half and into half moons.
- Then, place them in a bowl of cool water and swish them around to allow the dirt to sink to the bottom.
- Lift the leeks from the water and drain them in a strainer. If they are still dirty, rinse them one more time and drain.
- Cook the onion and olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat until soft and golden.
- Add the leeks and cook until softened.
- Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add the garlic to warm through for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Then, add the scallions and cook until softened -about 1 minute.
- Add the rice, water, salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil, and reduce the heat to low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the dill and toss together.
The freshness of the lemon with the olive oil is so delicious, and lemon and leeks go so well together. So, I like to serve this with lemon wedges and an extra drizzle of Greek olive oil. You can even finely chop some fresh parsley or crumble some feta to sprinkle on top. It’s best to serve this right after you make it because you want the juicy broth the veggies, rice, and olive oil create. However, if you’re reheating a bowl for lunch the next day, add some broth or water and drizzle it with olive oil. The rice might overcook a bit, but the delicious flavor will keep you coming back for more! Kali Orexi!
More Rice Recipes:
- Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls
- Lentils & Rice
- Lemony Shrimp & Rice
- Mediterranean Rice Pilaf with Vermicelli
- 1/4 cup olive oil or more
- 6-7 fresh leeks
- 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 5 cups water or broth
- 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 tablespoon fresh dill
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Cut the dark green portions off of the leeks and discard them. Cut the leeks in half and slice into half moons. Place them in a bowl of cool water and swish them around. The dirt will sink to the bottom.
- Lift the leeks from the water and place them in a stariner to drain. If they are still dirty, rinse them one more time and drain.
- Add the onion and olive oil to a large skillet and cook over medium-heat until soft and golden.
- Add the leeks and cook until softened. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add the garlic and warm through for a few seconds until fragrant.
- Add scallions and cook until softened. About 1 minutes.
- Add the rice, water, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the dill and toss together.
- Serve with lemon wedges and drizzle with some Greek olive oil. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
ThermoPro TP19 Waterproof Digital Meat Thermometer for Grilling with Ambidextrous Backlit & Thermocouple Instant Read Thermometer Kitchen Cooking Food Thermometer for Candy Water Oil BBQ Grill Smoker
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
Enameled Cast Iron Shallow Casserole Braiser Pan with Cover, Cast Iron Covered Casserole Skillet 3.8-Quart, Marine Blue
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone