GIGANTES: BAKED GIANT BEAN CASSEROLE
- 1 pound giant butter or lima beans, soaked in water overnight
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- 1 (28 ounce can of tomatoes) pureed in blender
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- about 1 cup or more of crumbled feta cheese
- Gigantes, the Greek word meaning giant is a delicious, versatile, hearty vegetarian dish. It's a filling meal all by itself with a nice salad. It can also be transformed into elegant crostini, like in the above pic. Serve it as a side with fish or meat. The options are endless....just try it, it's super yummy!! Especially with crumbled feta cheese on top. Feta makes everything tastier 😉
- Place beans in a large pot covered with cold water and bring to a boil. Cook the beans about 40 minutes or until tender but not mushy. They will continue cooking in the oven. Strain the beans and place them in a 9x13inch baking dish. Pour 1/4 cup of olive oil over the beans and sprinkle some salt and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 1/4 cup olive oil in a Dutch oven pot or saucepan. Add onions and cook over medium-low heat until soft and golden. About 10-15 minutes. Add garlic and cook for about 5 minutes or until soft and golden. Add tomato puree, spices and sugar.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the sauce gets nice and thick. Pour the sauce over the beans and mix well. Bake uncovered for about 45 minutes. Raise temperature to 400 degrees and cook for another 10 minutes or until the beans get nice and crispy on top around the edges..... those are the tastiest ones!
- Garnish with the crumbled feta and chopped parsley and ENJOY!!!
Leave a Reply