Healthy, simple, and easy to make chicken and veggie skewers full of Mediterranean flavor!
Watch the Video:
Juicy, delicious Mediterranean chicken kabab skewers are easy to make and cook in less than 15 minutes. The chicken is marinated in a lemon and herb marinade and then added to skewers with bell peppers, zucchini and onions. It’s as simple as that! If you marinate your chicken the night before, this becomes a 30-minute meal. However, even if you wait until dinnertime, it will be on your table in under an hour. So, it’s a great weeknight meal.
Why you’ll make this every week
- Juicy Mediterranean-flavored chicken
- Firm caramelized veggies
- Healthy and low-carb
- Everyone will love this easy, delicious weeknight Mediterranean meal made in under an hour!
Simple and Healthy ingredients
- Wooden skewers
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs –chicken breast will be good but just not as juicy
- Bell peppers
- Zucchini –eggplant would be a great substitute
- Red onion –or whatever onion you have
- Olive oil –try the one in our straight from Crete!
- Fresh lemon juice –vinegar
- Garlic cloves
- Dried oregano –thyme or a combination of both would be good
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Finely chopped fresh parsley
- Dried coriander powder
How to make Mediterranean Chicken Kebab Skewers
- Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least an hour.
- Cut the chicken thigh meat, peppers, and onions into about 1 and 1/2 inch (4cm) pieces.
- Slice the zucchini about 1/2 inch (1.25cm) thick.
Make the marinade:
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and add the chicken pieces to the bowl.
- Toss to coat and set aside for a half-hour at room temperature or refrigerate overnight for maximum flavor. Just remember to bring the meat to room temperature before grilling.
Season the veggies:
- Add the veggies to a large bowl.
- Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a teaspoon of oregano and toss together.
Prepare the skewers:
- Thread the chicken and veggies onto the skewers –about 4-5 pieces of chicken per skewer and the rest veggies.
- Preheat a grill, grill pan, or electric griddle to high heat.
- Grill the skewers for about 4-5 minutes per side.
- When the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 °F (74 °C), it is ready.
I make a lot of roasted green beans, which pair well with chicken kababs. Try a Mediterranean salad or some cauliflower rice to keep it low carb. If you love carbs, try a Mediterranean rice pilaf or roasted potatoes as a side. Whatever you serve with your kebabs, be sure to serve them with fresh tzatziki or creamy whipped feta dip. I like to put a layer of one on the plate topped with Kalamata olives and a bit of spicy harissa sauce. Then, place the meat and veggies from a skewer in the sauce. Everyone will love it!
For the Roasted Green Beans
I typically make roasted green beans with chicken kababs because it’s just as easy to throw together as the kebabs. All you have to do is place washed, dried, and trimmed green beans onto a baking tray in an even layer. Drizzle them with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast the green beans in a preheated 425 °F oven until tender—about 30 minutes.
Serve the Chicken Skewers with:
- wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 1 pound (455g) boneless skinless chicken thigh meat
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 zucchini
- 1 red onion
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice or vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 1-2 teaspoons dried oregano or thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried coriander powder
Soak the wooden skewers in water for at least an hour.
Cut the chicken thigh meat into about 1 and 1/2 inch (4cm) pieces.
Cut the vegetables into 1 and 1/2 inch pieces. The zucchini can be sliced about 1/2 inch (1.25cm) thick.
Make the marinade: combine all of the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl. whisk together and then add the chicken pieces to the bowl. Toss to coat and set aside for an hour at room temperature or refrigerate overnight. Bring the meat to room temperature before grilling.
Add the veggies to a large bowl. Drizzle with 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add a teaspoon of oregano and toss together.
Thread the chicken and veggies onto the skewers. About 4-5 pieces of chicken per skwer and the rest veggies.
Preheat a grill, grill pan, or electric griddle to high heat. Grill the skewers about 4-5 minutes per side.
When the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 °F (74 °C) it is ready.
Serve with tzatziki, whipped feta, salad, and rice pilaf. Roasted green beans pair well with this recipe.
For the Roasted Green Beans:
Place the washed, dried, and trimmed green beans onto a baking tray in an even layer. Drizzle with 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 425 °F until tender. About 30 minutes.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
STAUB Ceramics Rectangular Baking Dish, 13x9-inch, Dark Blue
Mina Mild Harissa Sauce, Mild Sauce Crafted with Fresh Red Peppers Instantly Transforms Any Plate with the Lively Flavors of Morocco (10 Ounces)
Presto 07061 22-inch Electric Griddle With Removable Handles, Black, 22-inch