Watch the Video
This simple and delicious Mediterranean black lentil salad is made with urad dal lentils. Urad dal is a particular type of lentil that’s very high in protein and super nutritious. The phrase “urad dal” translates to “black lentils,” but the ones I use aren’t black because I buy the urad dal that are peeled and split. You’ll find them in Middle Eastern, Pakistani, or Indian grocery stores since this type of lentil is not commonly used in European cooking. However, it’s completely worth finding them for this protein-packed, fresh salad with veggies. Trust me when I say you’re going to love it!
Why you’ll make this every day, too!
- Soft, protein-packed lentils
- Fresh, crisp veggies
- Creamy avocado
- Delicate green onions
- Light, clean dressing
- A simple and delicious versatile light, nutritious Mediterranean salad everyone will love!
- Urad Lentils –sub green or red lentils, quinoa, couscous, or even pasta if you prefer
- Grape tomatoes –halved or quartered
- Avocados –diced
- Scallions –sub a third of a red or sweet onion if you’d like
- English cucumber –peeled and diced
- Jalapeño –seeded and finely chopped
- Bell pepper –diced
- Olive oil
- White balsamic vinegar –try the delicious one from Crete in our shop!
Additions & Substitutions
I first had this salad when visiting my sister-in-law in Austin, TX. It’s been about two weeks, and I’ve made it almost every day since because everyone loves it. I switch up the veggies to change it a bit. I keep the urad dal because of the high protein, but you could use red or green lentils, quinoa, couscous, or even pasta. As for the veggies, you can use any bell pepper or onion you have on hand or swap out the cucumber for zucchini. If you have fresh herbs, parsley and mint would add tons of freshness. You could even add Kalamata olives and feta. Make it your own with your favorites!
How to make Mediterranean black lentil salad with urad dal
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, and then add the lentils with a half teaspoon of salt.
- Boil until al-dente –about 12-15 minutes, drain and cool.
- Add the salad ingredients and the cooled lentils to a large bowl and then toss together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
Make ahead option
I cook a big batch to keep from having to cook the urad dal every day. The lentils can be boiled, cooled, and then stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. That way, all you have to do is cut your veggies and throw them all together for a quick and easy meal!
I could eat half of this recipe by myself. It’s so good! It’s refreshing and delicious in the summertime and makes the perfect lunch, light dinner, or side dish. You could even serve it with some light, fresh bread or pita. Your whole family will love it! Kali Orexi!
More Delicious Salads:
- Tortellini Salad
- Greek Potato Salad from Tarpon Springs
- Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
- Greek Lettuce Salad
- 1 cup Urad Lentils, rinsed
- 10-15 grape tomatoes, halved
- 1-2 avocados, diced
- 5-6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- salt, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add the lentils with a half teaspoon of salt. Boil until al-dente. About 12-15 minutes. Drain and cool.
- Add all of the salad ingredients along with the cooled lentils to a large bowl and toss together.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
- Serve. Kali Orexi!
The lentils can be boiled and cooled and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Mina Mild Harissa Sauce, Mild Sauce Crafted with Fresh Red Peppers Instantly Transforms Any Plate with the Lively Flavors of Morocco (10 Ounces)
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
Gourmet White Balsamic Glaze (250ml/8.5 oz)
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
AIVA ORGANIC URAD DAL (Matpe Bean Split) - USDA Certified 4 LB