Comforting lemony white bean and chicken soup ready in under an hour!
Watch the Video:
This lemony white bean and chicken soup is quick, hearty, and delicious. It’s packed with fresh greens and veggies that give the soup a great texture. The chicken cooks while you cook the veggies helping this soup come together in less than an hour. It makes the perfect fall weeknight dinner and makes enough to have throughout the week. I could definitely eat it every day!
Why you’ll crave this often
Melt in your mouth spinach
A delicious, fresh, and comforting lemony chicken soup that’s quick and easy to make!
Here’s what you’ll need
- Olive oil –try the one in our shop made from my Crete family’s olive trees
- Onion –finely chopped
- Carrots –chopped
- Celery stalks –diced or a teaspoon of celery seeds
- Garlic cloves –grated
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs –substitute breast or a deboned whole chicken
- Chicken broth
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- White beans –Great Northern, cannellini, white kidney, chickpeas, or your favorite combination
- Baby spinach –substitute kale, arugula, or your favorite combo of baby greens
- Dried dill –or fresh dill if you have it
- Fresh lemon juice –always freshly squeezed
- Finely chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges for garnish
How to make Lemony White Bean and Chicken Soup
- Place the olive oil, onion, carrot, and celery in a soup pot and season with a pinch of salt.
- Cook over medium heat until soft and golden –about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken.
- Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over the chicken and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the chicken either in a preheated 425˚F oven for 25 minutes or in the air fryer set to 400 °F for about 15 minutes.
- Chop or shred the cooked and cooled chicken, then set aside.
- Add the beans, celery seeds, chicken, and dill to the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Then, add the broth.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach leaves, lemon juice, and parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Simmer for 5 minutes more.
I enjoy the brothiness of this soup, but if you like a little creaminess in your soup, go in with an emulsion blender two or three times. It will melt some of the beans and give the soup a natural creaminess without the cream. You’ll want to serve it with toasted bread to sop up every bit of broth, and don’t forget the feta and olives on the side. Kali Orexi!
I love having this soup on hand so I can eat it whenever I’m ready. After you prepare the soup, let it cool and transfer it to freezer-safe containers. It will keep fresh frozen for up to 3 months. When you crave lemony white bean soup, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator and then simmer it until piping hot.
More Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Fasolada
- Instant Pot Lemony Avgolemono Soup
- Mediterranean Tortellini Soup
- Creamy Vegan White Bean Soup
- Greek Fisherman’s Soup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced or a teaspoon of celery seeds
- 5 garlic cloves, grated
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 (15-oz) cans white beans (Great Norther, canellini, white kidney, or chickpeas) rinsed and drained
- 5-6 oz baby spinach or kale leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 cup (or more) fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- lemon wedges for garnish
- bread, feta cheese, and olives for serving
- Place the oliv eoil, onion, carrot, and celery in a soup pot and season with apinch of salt. Cook over medium heat until soft and golden. About 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the chicken. Drizzle 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil over the chicken and season both sides with salt and black pepper. Cook the chicken either ina. preheated 425 ‡F oven for 25 minutes or in the air fryer set to 400 °F for about 15 minutes. Chop or shred the cooked cooled chicken and set aside.
- Add the beans, celery seeds, chicken, and dill to the pot. Season with salt and pepper and add the broth. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach leaves, lemon juice, and parsley. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Serve with toasted bread, feta, and olives.
- Kali Orexi!
Freezer Instructions: The prepared soup can be cooled and then transfered to freezer-safe containers. It will keep fresh frozen up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and simmer until piping hot.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
Olive Oil- Greek Extra Virgin Olive Oil (500ml/15.9 oz)
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Isaac Mizrahi 6 qt Cast Iron Dutch Oven with Lid - Red