Easy Zesty sweet chicken for any night of the week!
These honey lemon chicken drumsticks are the perfect weeknight entrée. It’s easy to make, ready in thirty minutes, and pretty inexpensive. So many different sides go well with this that you can pick your favorite and enjoy. There’s a little bit of an Asian flavor to the sauce, so you could even add a tablespoon or two of soy sauce and have Asian chicken in the same amount of time. It’s so quick and delicious that I can’t wait for you to try it!
It will be a favorite
- Slightly sweet honey
- Tangy and zesty lemon
- Soft, moist chicken
- Quick and easy weeknight chicken in 30 minutes!
Sweet and Zesty
- Chicken drumsticks
- Olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice –be sure to use fresh, so your sauce is fresh too
- Garlic cloves, grated
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Honey –use more honey if you want your sauce even stickier
- Garnish: 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced with lemon wedges
Do I have to use drumsticks?
I use drumsticks because they are inexpensive, cook in a reasonable amount of time, and stay juicy. Chicken thighs or quarters would be a great alternative because they stay juicy as well. Chicken breast is a little bit tricky because if you overcook it, it tends to dry out. The sauce will help a bit with that, but you still want to cook it well. Just sear it for about three minutes on each side and then finish cooking it in the sauce.
How to make Lemon Honey Chicken Drumsticks
- Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and brown the chicken on all sides –about 8 minutes total.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, garlic, and honey.
- Pour the lemon honey sauce into the pan with a half cup of water.
- Cover with a lid and cook over medium heat until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 °F, 74 °C –about 15 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed and then garnish with the sliced scallions and lemon wedges.
We love the honey lemon sauce on the drumsticks, so try these drumsticks over rice with extra sauce. Mash potatoes and a nice green salad are always a hit with my family and are ready in the same amount of time. Serve with your family’s favorite quick sides, and you’ll have dinner on the table in no time! Kali Orexi!
More Quick & Delicious Recipes Ready in 30 mins:
- Chicken in. Creamy Spinach Feta Sauce
- Chicken Saganaki
- Mediterranean Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Shrimp Pilaf
- Greek Grape Leaf Pilaf: Deconstructed Dolmadakia
Watch the Video
- 6-7 chicken drumsticks (1 pound/500g)
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 garlic cloves, grated
- salt, to taste
- freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons honey
- Garnish: 2-3 scallions, thinly sliced and lemon wedges
Season the chicken on both sides with salt and pepper.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium high heat and brown the chicken on all sides. About 8 minutes total.
In a small bowl combine the lemon juice, garlic, and honey and whisk them all together.
Pour the lemon honey sauce into the pan.
Cover with a lid and add a half cup of water.
Cook over medium heat until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165 °F, 74 °C. About 15 minutes.
Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Garnish with the sliced scallions and lemon wedges and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
J.A. Henckels International 31161-201 CLASSIC Chef's Knife, 8 Inch, Black
Fox Run Intricate Assorted Winter Snowflake Pastry/Cookie/Pie/Fondant 2" Stamper and Cutters 2", Set of 4, Multi-Color
Berard Olive-Wood Handcrafted Salt Keeper
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
R&M International 0 Leaves 2" Pastry/Cookie/Fondant Stampers, Leaves and Acorn, 4-Piece Set
TEAKHAUS Wood Cutting Board Block I Chopping Board I Wooden Cutting Boards for Kitchen I Large Cutting Board with Handle I Chopping Boards for Kitchen I Thick Cutting Board 107 24x18x1.5
Lodge Pre-Seasoned Cast Iron Skillet with Assist Handle Holder, 12", Red Silicone