- Serves 6:
- 1-1 and ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion (216 grams/half pound) finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 14.5 ounces (411g) canned tomatoes, pureed (make sure they’re unsalted and no flavors added)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sugar, or more
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4-6 scallions, finely chopped
A flavorful main course that’s perfect for a busy weeknight served alongside pasta and great for entertaining. Make it for 2 or 22. Everyone will love it.
Preheat the broiler on high.
Place the chicken cubes on a tray or in a shallow bowl and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
Heat a 10-inch (26 cm) oven proof skillet over medium high heat. Add olive oil and 1/3 of the chicken cubes making sure to not crowd the pan. Sauté the chicken 1-2 minutes per side until lightly brown. Transfer onto a plate and do the same with the remaining chicken.
Lower the heat to medium low and cook the onions and garlic about 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden, translucent and soft.
Add tomatoes, water, sugar, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper and a little salt. Take care not to add too much since the feta cheese that will be added in the end will be salty.
Cook the sauce until it reduces and thickens.
Put all of the chicken into the pan, top with crumbled feta cheese and bring to a boil.
Transfer the pan (if it is oven proof) to the oven on the center rack and cook about 5-8 minutes or until the cheese melts, the sauce is bubbly and slightly charred.
Garnish with scallion slices and serve.
Serve with hearty, toasted bread or over pasta.