CHICKEN SAGANAKI (30 MINUTE MEAL): GREEK STYLE CHICKEN IN A TOMATO & FETA SAUCE
A flavorful main course that’s perfect for a busy weeknight served alongside pasta and great for entertaining. Make it for 2 or 22. Everyone will love it.
- 1-1 and ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion (216 grams/half pound) finely chopped
- 3-4 garlic cloves, sliced
- 14.5 ounces (411g) canned tomatoes, pureed (make sure they’re unsalted and no flavors added)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sugar, or more
- pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 4-6 scallions, finely chopped
- Preheat the broiler on high.
- Place the chicken cubes on a tray or in a shallow bowl and season both sides with salt and black pepper.
- Heat a 10-inch (26 cm) ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil and 1/3 of the chicken cubes making sure to not crowd the pan. Sauté the chicken 1-2 minutes per side until lightly brown. Transfer onto a plate and do the same with the remaining chicken.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and cook the onions and garlic for about 8-10 minutes or until slightly golden, translucent, and soft.
- Add tomatoes, water, sugar, oregano, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper, and a little salt. Take care not to add too much since the feta cheese that will be added in the end will be salty.
- Cook the sauce until it reduces and thickens.
- Put all of the chicken into the pan, top with crumbled feta cheese, and bring to a boil.
- Transfer the pan (if it is oven-proof) to the oven on the center rack and cook for about 5-8 minutes or until the cheese melts, the sauce is bubbly and slightly charred.
- Garnish with scallion slices and serve.
- Serve with hearty, toasted bread or over pasta.
Leave a Reply