LEMON & CRANBERRY SCONES
- 2 cups all purpose flour (plus a little more for dusting your work surface)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, cold
- 2 large eggs, cold
- 1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (6 ounces), cold and diced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cranberries
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg with 2 tablespoons water
For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar with about 2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- What's better than a flaky, buttery scone? A lemon flavored one of course! These are so delicious with a nice hot cup of tea!!! Serve them to your guests for breakfast or brunch and they will love them! The refreshing lemony flavor goes great with the tart and chewy yet sweet cranberries.
- This is another one of those delicious recipes that freeze beautifully (before baking). So make sure to make a double batch if you can. Who doesn't enjoy having an emergency stash of ready to bake scones in their freezer? NOBODY! Answering your own questions is fun 🙂
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the flour, sugar salt and baking powder in a large bowl and whisk together.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, heavy whipping cream, vanilla extract and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add the cold diced butter to the flour mixture and work it with your hands, crumbling it with the flour until it resembles course meal. Do this quickly making sure not to over work the mixture. Make sure the butter stays in small chunks and that it does not melt or become too soft. If this happens, by accident stick your bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients and the cranberries and mix with your hands quickly (making sure not to over work the dough) until the dough comes together. The dough will be sticky. Don't worry!
- Lightly flour your counter or work surface and place the dough on it.
- Roll the dough out in a circle almost an inch thick and cut it into 8 triangles, just like pizza slices.
- Place the scones on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Brush with the egg wash.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- Dust with confectioner's sugar or with the lemon glaze.
Leave a Reply