So much better than a macaroon!
Watch the Video
If you haven’t heard about Karidata, they are Greek walnut meringue cookies that are soft, chewy, and can be sandwiched with anything in between. Traditionally, they are sandwiched with Nutella, but jam, jelly, or chocolate would be amazing. They are compared to a macaroon, but these cookies aren’t as sweet as macaroons and so much better. My recipe makes a big batch. So, you’ll have a lot of cookies for your jar, or you can pair them up for sandwiching. Let me know what you do with them!
Why you won’t make macaroons anymore
- Subtle chocolate flavor
- Warm cinnamon and clove spices
- Floral orange
- Nutty walnut
- Easy to make soft, chewy chocolate meringue cookie you can sandwich!
- Egg whites
- Granulated sugar
- Unseasoned bread crumbs –sub old bread if you don’t have bread crumbs
- Ground walnuts –finely ground, but not into a powder
- Cocoa powder –leave out if you don’t want a chocolate cookie
- Ground cinnamon
- Clove powder
- Baking powder
- Pure vanilla extract –good quality for best flavor
- Orange blossom water –substitute rose water or leave out
- Optional: confectioner’s sugar
How to make Karidata, aka Greek Walnut Meringue Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 325 °F, 160 °C.
- Whip the egg whites until frothy.
- Add the sugar, vanilla extract, and orange blossom water and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
- Then, fold the dry ingredients into the egg whites.
- Fill a piping bag three-quarters of the way full with the meringue, or use a mini ice cream scoop to form the cookies. (see video).
- Pipe or scoop the batter onto baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Bake the cookies for 15 minutes.
- Dust with confectioner’s sugar while they’re still warm.
- Allow them to cool completely on the pans to set, and then transfer them to a cookie jar or an airtight container.
As expected, I eat a few when they’re ready. I always have a hot cup of Greek coffee ready because it’s the perfect combination. If you have a cookie jar, stack them in the jar so they sit nicely, are easy to get out, and don’t get damaged in the jar. To sandwich them, spread a small amount of your filling on one cookie and top it with another. Be sure not to overstuff them, so the filling doesn’t drop out when you bite the cookie. Let me know how you eat them! Kali Orexi!
- Fig Cookies
- Fig Cookies
- Greek Tahini Cookies (Vegan)
- Festive Mini Holiday Shortbread Cookies
- AMYGDALOTA: GREEK-STYLE CHEWY ALMOND COOKIES
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 and 1/2 cups (360g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (48g) unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 and 1/2 cups ground walnuts
- 1/2 cup (57g) cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon clove powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- optional: confectioner's sugar
Preheat the oven to 325 °F, 160 °C.
Whip the egg whites until frothy. Add the sugar, vanilla extract, and orange blossom water and whip on high speed until stiff peaks form.
Place the remaining ingredients in a bowl and whisk together.
Fold the dry ingredients into the egg whites.
Fill a piping bag three quarters of the way full with the meringue or use a mini ice cream scoop to form the cookies. (see video).
Pipe or scoop the batter onto baking trays lined with parchment paper.
Bake the cookies for 15 minutes. Allow them to cool completely on the pans and then transfer them to a cookie jar or into an airtight container.
Dust with confectioner's sugar while they're warm. Serve with coffee. Kali Orexi!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Ateco Plastic Coated Pastry Bag 16 Inch
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
Cretan Mountain Tea- Malotira (30g/1.05 oz)
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
SMARTAKE 200 Pcs Parchment Paper Baking Sheets, 12x16 Inches Non-Stick Precut Baking Parchment, Perfect for Baking Grilling Air Fryer Steaming Bread Cup Cake Cookie and More (Unbleached)
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue