- 4 egg whites
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water
- 4 cups almond meal (blanched almond flour)
- 7 ounces semis-sweet or dark chocolate, melted
- 1 cup blanched sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 °F, 165 °C.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk the egg whites on high speed until thick and stiff.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the almond flour, salt, sugar, almond extract, and orange blossom water. Mix together until combined.
- Fold the whipped egg whites into the almond flour mixture until a dough is formed.
- Note:For a more dense, firm cookie, keep the dough very dense by adding up to 455 grams of almond flour to it. Dense cookie dough will not spread during baking. For a flatter cookie, allow the dough to be slightly looser.
- Using a small ice cream scoop or 2 spoons, scoop walnut-sized pieces of dough onto baking trays lined with parchment paper.
- Sprinkle some sliced almonds over the top of each cookie.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 15 minutes. The cookies will be pale and slightly golden around the edges.
- If baking 2 trays together, make sure to rotate the baking sheets from top to bottom halfway through baking.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely.
- If decorating with chocolate, spread some melted chocolate on the bottom of each cookie place the cookies chocolate-side up on the baking tray until they set. You may also place them in the freezer or refrigerator for 15-20 minutes or until the chocolate hardens.