Yield: 2 and 1/2 cups
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- In a saucepan, bring milk and salt to a simmer over medium heat.
- In the meantime, combine the sugar, corn starch, cream and egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk together for a few minutes until thick and pale yellow.
- Slowly, pour the hot milk in the egg mixture one ladle full at a time while whisking.
- Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, whisking constantly until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla extract. Whisk well.
- Strain the pastry cream into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until cold.
Leave a Reply