- Makes 2 and 1/2 cups:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
In a saucepan, bring milk and salt to a simmer over medium heat.
In the meantime, combine the sugar, corn starch, cream and egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk together for a few minutes until thick and pale yellow.
Slowly, pour the hot milk in the egg mixture one ladle full at a time while whisking.
Pour the mixture back into the saucepan and cook over low heat, whisking constantly until thickened.
Remove from heat and add butter and vanilla extract. Whisk well.
Strain the pastry cream into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap.
Refrigerate until cold.