Watch the Video
- 2 pounds (900g) cherries, stemmed and pitted
- 4 cups (2 pounds ) granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Wash the cherries and dry them.
- Remove the stems and pit the cherries over a large bowl.
- Add a cup of water to the cherry pits.
- Place the pitted cherries in a pot with the sugar and lemon juice. Strain the water and add it to the cherries. Mix the cherries carefully and place the pot in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours.
- Cook the cherries over medium-high heat until the mixture comes to a boil and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Skim the froth from the top.
- Cook the mixture for about 25 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract and set aside to cool completely.
- Transfer the preserves and the syrup to jars and store in the refrigerator. Kali Orexi!
For a thicker syrup, carefully remove the cherries from the syrup and set aside. Cook the syrup for an additional 10 minutes, remove from the heat and add the cherries back in. Set aside to cool and transfer to jars.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Traditional Cretan Aprons (heavier fabric)
KitchenAid KSM3311XAQ Artisan Mini Series Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, 3.5 quart, Aqua Sky Blue
Instant Pot Duo 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker, Slow Cooker, Rice Cooker, Steamer, Saute, Yogurt Maker, Sterilizer, and Warmer, 8 Quart, 14 One-Touch Programs
COSORI ProII Air Fryer Oven Combo, 5.8QT Max Xl Large Cooker with 12 One-Touch Saveable Custom Functions, Cookbook and Oneline Recipes, Nonstick and Dishwasher-Safe Detachable Square Basket
Le Parfait Jam Jars | 11oz (Pack of 6) 324ml Clear Canning Jars w/ Candy Airtight Metal Lid | Sturdy French Faceted Non-Slip Glass Body | Works for Jam + Jelly Storage, Snacks, Picnic, DIY
Playtex Living Reuseable Rubber Cleaning Gloves (Large, 3 Pairs), Premium Protection Reusable Household Gloves
Westmark Cherry Stoner "Kernex"