SOUR CHERRY & CHOCOLATE CHUNK ICE CREAM
Yield: more than One Quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/3 cup sour cherry preserves (liquid strained and reserved)
- 1/4 cup sour cherry reserved liquid (syrup)
For the Chocolate Chunks:
- 4 ounces semi sweet chocolate
- 1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
- Pour milk, cream, and salt in a pot and bring to a simmer while stirring.
- Whisk all of the egg yolks with sugar in a bowl.
- Slowly temper the eggs by adding a ladle full at a time of the hot cream mixture while constantly whisking.
- Pour the tempered egg mixture into the pot with the rest of the milk and cook over medium heat for a few minutes. Keep whisking it. The mixture will thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in vanilla and almond extracts. Pour the mixture through a sieve to filter out any hard bits. It should be, silky, smooth and luxurious 🙂
- Cover with a piece of plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Cool overnight in the refrigerator.
- Combine the chocolate with the cream in a bowl and microwave in 8 second increments until the chocolate has melted smoothly.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread the melted chocolate mixture on top. Place in freezer overnight to set. It takes about 30 minutes in the freezer for the chocolate to harden, so you can do this step right before making the ice cream if you wish. It just makes it easier to have it ready if possible.
- When the ice cream base has completely cooled in the refrigerator, freeze it for 30-45 minutes before putting it in your ice cream maker.
- Also, 30 minutes prior to making the ice cream, place the drained sour cherry preserves in the freezer as well. Everything should be chilled properly as to avoid heating the ice cream.
- Remove your chocolate from the freezer and chop it into chunks. Chill I the freezer until 5 minutes before ice cream is done churning.
- Pour the chilled cream mixture into your ice cream machine and allow to churn for 15 minutes. Carefully add the chilled cherries followed by the reserved cherry syrup.
- Add the chopped chocolate chunks at the last 5 minutes of churning.
- Transfer the ice cream in a container and freeze it for a few more hours until it firms up a bit.
Leave a Reply