PAVLOVA WITH LEMON CREAM & BERRIES
For the meringue:
- 4 (extra large) egg whites, at room temperature
- a pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice or vinegar
- zest of a medium sized lemon
For the cream:
- 1 and 1/2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1/2 pint assorted blueberries and raspberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Draw a 8-inch circle on the parchment paper. Turn the paper over so that you do not get pencil marks on your meringue.
- In a tabletop mixer bowl, add the egg whites and salt. Beat them with the whisk attachment until frothy.
- While the mixer is running, slowly add the sugar and vanilla extract until the mixture becomes stiff and glossy. About 6 minutes.
- Sift the cornstarch over the whipped egg whites. Add the lemon juice and carefully fold it in with a spatula.
- Spread the mixture onto the parchment paper inside the circle. Spread it carefully, creating a bowl shape in the center. Create swirls and spikes around the edges.
- Bake at 300 degrees for one hour. Turn the oven off after one hour and leave the meringue inside for 1 more hour. It will be crispy on the outside and marshmallowy on the inside.
- Prepare the whipped cream while meringue is cooling. Combine the heavy whipping cream, vanilla and confectioners sugar in a large bowl. Whip until thick and creamy. Fold in the lemon zest with a spatula.
- Fill the center of the cooled meringue with whipped cream and top with the berries.
Leave a Reply