COFFEE ICE CREAM
Yield: 1 Quart
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder (instant coffee works too)
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- chocolate covered espresso beans, for garnish
- Combine the cream, milk, instant espresso powder and salt in a small pot. Cook over medium heat until almost boiled. Stir well.
- In another bowl, whisk sugar with the egg yolks until completely combined.
- Temper the egg mixture by pouring about a cup of the hot cream mixture and whisking well. Keep adding hot mixture to the eggs until the bowl they are in feels warm.
- Add the egg mixture into the pot with the hot cream mixture. Mix well and cook over medium-low heat until the entire mixture thickens and coats the back of a spoon. About 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Pour the ice cream mixture through a fine mesh sieve over a bowl to catch any hard bits that may be in it.
- Cover with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Cool in the refrigerator until completely chilled.
- Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Mix well and pour into your ice cream machine and follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Transfer into a container and freeze for a few hours until firm.
- Serve topped with chocolate covered espresso beans.
Leave a Reply