- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, softened
- 4-5 cups confectioner's sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 2-4 tablespoons milk
- Beat butter and salt in a tabletop mixer with the whisk attachment until it is fluffy. 1-2 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract along with 2-3 cups of the sugar. Begin beating on very low speed (so that you don't end up wearing the sugar) and increase the speed as the sugar gets absorbed then add 1 more cup of sugar. Once the sugar is combined, beat on high speed about 3-5 minutes.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of milk and beat another few minutes until it is absorbed.
- At this point taste the buttercream. If you like a sweeter, stiffer buttercream add more sugar. You may thin it out more by adding more milk.
- Use immediately. If not using right away, cover with plastic wrap or place in an airtight container or until ready to use.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for almond buttercream.
- Add 1/2 cup of your favorite jam (raspberry, strawberry, apricot...) for a fruit flavored buttercream.
- Add 1/2 cup lemon curd for a lemon buttercream.
- Have fun experimenting with your favorite flavors!